Speedometer cable in my truck seems to need a replacement. This afternoon while driving I noticed it was bouncing, which it never has before... About 10 minutes later, the needle dropped like a rock. Shortly after my O/D OFF light started blinking. Seems like the cable has failed and I need to replace it. I'm going to go around to some autoparts stores tomorrow and see if anybody has one (usually they don't have ANY parts I'm looking for). I have a feeling I'll be ordering this offline like all my car parts, and was wondering if this is the correct cable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dorman-TECHoice-03205-Speedometer-Cable-/160583230585?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1990|Make%3AToyota&hash=item256381a479

Summit also seems to carry the Dorman 03205 Speedometer Cable if eBay doesn't work out, but I'm unsure if it's the correct one, that end connector that goes into the transmission looks different.

Thanks for those links, unfortunately the only thing I can fond there are the speedometer gears... (?) Sent an email to the local (local as in 40 mile trip) Toyota dealer. Yeah, they want $142.63 for it! Then I need to drive there and back, which is going to be about $50 in gas; so yeah total for the speedo cable is about $200. Right there is justification for me to: a) Drive without a speedometer, forever. B) Give up fixing the camper, and start stealing parts.

<br />Option C: Buy a GPS.<br /><br />Any chance you got the original Toyots Part Number from the Dealer? A Google search might find a cross reference. And I think that NAPAs web site can cross reference.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yeah, If I didn't get the speedo fixed I'd be using a GPS for speed tracking, doesn't help me with mileage and oil changes though =]

I'm waiting to hear beck from the Toyota dealer on the part number, because that's exactly what I'm going to do when I get it.

Funny thing, the VIN comes back on both sites as a Toyota 4Runner :)

Got a reply!

"Chris, The part number is 83710-35480. I can sweeten the deal, take twenty bucks off, plus I'll ship it in Vermont for free." That brings it down to $113.29 shipped, but those two websites have it for $80.56 & $84.90 before shipping.

Cross referencing from Toyota Parts Zone:

Fit Vehicles: (Production Date Range; Engine; Trim; Body Type; Door;)

Toyota 4Runner

1994.08-1995.11; 6cyl 3.0L; SR5; ; 4D;

Toyota Corolla

1994.08-1995.11; 4cyl 1.8L; XR; HB; ; 1994.08-1995.11; 4cyl 1.8L; S; SED; ;

Toyota PASEO

1994.08-1995.11; 4cyl 1.5L; ; ; ;

Toyota PREVIA

1994.08-1995.11; 4cyl 2.4L; LE; ; ;

Toyota Truck, Pickup

1994.08-1995.11; 6cyl 3.0L; SR5; ; 4D;

This is supposed to fit the Toyota Paseo on that chart: http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories at almost $25 I like this option much better (if it fits).

EDIT: I don't see 89-91 pickup on that list, which worries me...

I ripped off one of my clearance lights on Friday in the aftermath of a severe thunder/hail storm. I went to uHaul's website to get a replacement, and noticed the speedometer cable under the electrical section!! Anyway, it's $86 SHIPPED which is better than my local toyota dealer, and anoy of the ones I could find online. I think I'll be going that route (and get my @#$^ clearance light replaced before DOT pulls me over).

There's a bunch of good parts on uHaul's site for the Toyota 1-ton chassis, I've purchased parts there before that are much cheaper than the Toyota dealer's prices, check it out www.uhaultruckparts.com

As a side note, my transmission pan that needs replacing is 136.70!!!! I need to find a used one for CHEAP, the JB weld is starting to leak. According to uHaul my transmission is an A340LE. Going to look and see if I can find a pan somewhere..