My friend and I have a 78 Toyota Mini Cruiser. It has some serious water damage from a leaky roof. I am trying to figure out what the original exterior roof material was made from in order to get the right roof repair product- something to re-coat over the entire roof to waterproof it. The top layer of roof material is black in color with irridecent crystals and is very flexible, somewhat sticky. Underneatih is a rubber type membrane that at this point is full of disgusting mildew. Can anyone make a recommendation on a good product to use to re-coat? Desperately need your help, online community!

on our 1986 MiniCruiser the original roof panel was aluminum,but had been covered over with about every sealant coating known to man.We have plenty of water damage, who ever put all the stuff on the roof apparently never bothered to actually locate the leaks.The roof has 1"x 3" lumber lying flat for support with some 3/4" X 3/4" steel tubing so if it sagging down at the A/C unit as ours was there is probably hidden damage in the roof structure.

One way to locate leaks is to pressurize the cabin and then go around with a spray bottle of soapy water spraying suspected places and even some that are not suspect.One way to pressirize the cabin is to use one of the large shop vacs that have a hose connection on the outlet,you need a big one! If your rig is like ours you can remove the plastic entry where the power cord goes in and tape the vacuum cleaner hose in that hole.close all the windows and every other opening you can find,put the cab a/c control on recirculate.Turn on the shop vac and spray around the cabin door if that does not show some bubbles/air leaks you probably do not have a good positive pressure yet. Once you have positive pressure start looking/spraying all over,around anything that is attached to the roof, all around window frames and all the screwed on mouldings.using that method you may be actually find and repair the real leaks some of which would not have been sealed by simply recoating the entire roof.Our worst ones were around the base of the A/C unit which had gobs of sealant plastered all around it all very sloppy and completely ineffective.Leaks in that area are best resolved by lifting the unit and after alot of cleaning of both the roof and the unit installing it with a new gasket.Hope this much longer than i expected post helps you Don

• 1 month later...