How do you tell the age of tires?

Richard2003

My 92 Itasca Spirit has new looking tires.

But I am not sure how old they really are.

I know that a Triangle at the end of the DOT code means they were made in the 1990s. Mine doesn't have that.

Anyone know how to id the age of newer tires?

• 1 month later...

Richard, I would like to know that answer also. I recently went to the good year tire site. They say that rv tires only last 7 years no matter how much tread is left. I think they were talking about big big tires but rubber is rubber right? It is a big question regarding safety. Its doughtful that any of us will wear out a set of tires in 7 years. So are we in danger?

Greg

Do your tires not have the DOT code at all or just not the triangle? If there's no DOT code try looking at the inner side of the tires, every tire should have them. Or take them to any tire shop and they'll gladly read it for you. I bought a '90 Dolphin about 4 months ago and the tires looked perfect but had some minor cracking. When I read the DOT code I relized that 5 of my tires were made in '93 :omg: The other two were from '00 and '01. I had the six drive tires replaced, the '01 tire moved to the spare and I kept the '00 just in case I ever get to do the ALCON :ThumbUp: We just got back from a 3,400 mile trip and knowing I had 5 new heavy duty tires between my family and the road was great piece of mind...

• 2 years later...

Your tires are good for only 6 years.

The first two numbers are the months the 2nd two are the year.

The eviroment,weather,sun,heat etc.ruins the tires.

It is better to run your tires than let them sit.Even off and in storage they will

deterioate.

They will start having problems,after 6 years.

Its not the tread,but the sidewalls,that break down.

I read this, on several differate tire sites.

So figure 6 tires is 100.00ea = 100.00 A year,thats not bad.

It really feels good to have piece of mind, when you have new tires.

Also get 8 ply tires they have stronger sidewalls,which gives your rv less sway.

(You'll need it when a big rig pass's you going 100 mph.)

• 4 years later...

Very nice question... Really... And response for it is also worth reading..!! Actually speaking, the sites regarding tires do provide good information, but unless and until theirs no practical information we don't get that perfect idea..