old side mount propane tank

Steve B

Hi, I've got an obsolete non-OPD side mount tank on my 92 Rockwood Toyota and some are refusing to fill it. My propane dealer says it cannot be updated. Does anyone have a solution?

If it's a saddle mount (bolted to the frame work) take it some where else they are exempt because they can not be over filled they actually are made like the tanks are now inside. It does have a different fill arrangement and requires a special fitting (common to RV's) there is a small valve that has to be opened in order to fill it other wise you will not get a drop in it. If they are calling it obsolete it's because of the valve configuration it does not match the new valve type handle. I have never had any one tell me they can't fill mine have you tried an RV place or just a propane filling station?

If its like mine, It is exempt from the OPD modification.

There is a letter on this site or on the Yahoo group that spells out the Exemption.

If you have the older style Valve and fitting (need a wrench), you might consider an ACME adapter for the tank, but you'll also need to change your hose.

Clean the tank especially up inside the where the hose screws onto. I used a small green pot scrubber pad and a Battery terminal wire brush to get up inside the fitting on the tank. Make sure the fitting is dry and free of any dirt/corosion/etc. Then screw the ACME adapter onto the tank. The plastic screw piec will break off when it reaches the correct torque. The Adapter is perminantly mounted to the tank and cannot be removed once its installed.

The ACME fitting is the quick disconnect (no wrench needed) that you find on BBQ tanks.

Look at this thread on how I modified mine.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3448

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto