Restoring coach exterior 1992 Itasca Spirit

Spirit92

We've started in on the "to do" list; toilet's repaired *yay!*, engine's been tuned up, and since it's finally above freezing here in the KC area we though we'd start spiffing up the exterior. What the heck is this coach *siding* made of? I've spent a couple of hours on this with nothing to show for it! After we remove the grey gunk the previous owners used, what would be best to patch with? Clean? Shine?

'Preciate any and all help!

A-ha! Thank you for the tip; we've got a surprisingly full-line funky li'l RV supply store just down the road in Merriam, and a marine supply store about halfway between. Off to learn all that's worth knowing about Filon :)

I thought that model was fiberglass sheets. Cleaning? Good luck - lots of rubbing, etc. patching- I had a small hole and used marine tex - a 2 part epoxy available at boating stores & some hardware stores - available in gray or white.

We've started in on the "to do" list; toilet's repaired *yay!*, engine's been tuned up, and since it's finally above freezing here in the KC area we though we'd start spiffing up the exterior. What the heck is this coach *siding* made of? I've spent a couple of hours on this with nothing to show for it! After we remove the grey gunk the previous owners used, what would be best to patch with? Clean? Shine?

'Preciate any and all help!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever tried the old rubbing compound we used to use on cars (pre clear coat finishes) before waxing them? My camper needs a good cleaning, too, and was wondering if that might work. Still would need elbow grease, I'm sure. Might try a mixture of baking soda and vinegar, too. Will see....

Baking soda and vinegar are often poured down a drain to help clean it out and make it smell lots better. I mixed some vinegar with water then poured in some baking soda (it fizzes for a while at first) in a little bucket this afternoon and, with a non-scratch scrubber sponge, went out and tried it on the two (fiber glass? Winnebago) panel wings under the cab-over next to the cab. Wow! Cleaned the bug spatter off pretty easy and, after wiping off with clear (cold!!!) water, made the panels shine like they were polished. When dipping the sponge in the mixture, have to swirl it around a bit as the baking soda tends to settle to the bottom. Did not do as nicely on the cab metal (did a small by the door window) - tends to dull that. But will do the camper part all over with that now. Vinegar is one of my favorite things. Used to use it to rinse my dogs (except heads) after their baths. It's a natural pH balencer (I've read) and after I began using it to rinse them they never again had "hot spots" that they would dig or scratch at, and didn't suffer from dry skin. Also gets rid of pets' "accident" smells. The vinegar odor goes away after a short while.

I have used "black streak remover and a good scrub brush, then power wash, Holes filled with marine epoxi and rustolium spay paint - found a perfect match for coler. toped of with "Nue Glase" 7 coats, shines like new, and reseals the fiberglase splinters

• 4 months later...

I tried the CloroxCleanup and it really works way better than i expected.I will try to attach a couple of pictures! We have not done the whole rig yet but the spots we have done it makes the fiberglass strands almost disappear.Does not require much scrubbing as you can see in the second picture where the Clorox ran down is pretty clean with no scrubbing at all

post-4760-0-85695500-1314318963_thumb.jp

post-4760-0-83711000-1314318979_thumb.jp