Our 91 V6 Dolphin needs brakes at 86k miles. Rotors look good, smooth with only a slight lip at edge of disk. I know our Toy's are somewhat brake challanged and am thinking there has been a lot or changes in brake tech since then. Like ceramic pads for the front ?? What are you running , or recomend ??? Also what about going to silicone brake fluid?? I am planning on doing all the braking components anyway. Vanman

When I inspected mine, they were OK, but I had a set of shoes anyway, they are metallic.

As for the Brake Fluid, there is a lot of discussion on the DOT5 (Silicone) in the aviation community.

Ask any who works in an auto body shop what happens when you get Silicone onto a surface that you want to pain.

Personally, I would stick with DOT3.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have been using dot 5 silicone fluid for the last 30 years. I live on the coast of Oregon so there is always a lot of moisture in the air. Regular dot 3 & 4 fluid will attract water but silicone does not. If you change fluid to dot 5 you must purge the whole system of the old fluid as they are not compatable. I just keep pumping in the new purple silicon fluid until it is comeing through very purple with no bubbles or yucky old fluid. They say that regular fluid has a higher boiling point, and it does when it is fresh and DRY, but it is not nearly as good when it has been infiltrated with water. I don't know about the paint thing but then I try not to spill it on the car body. I have found that I like the OEM brake pads and shoes better than aftermarket, they seem to be less grabby and quieter. JC Whitney had by far the cheapest Silicone fluid @ $17 a quart.

<br />Or DOT5.1.<br /><br /><a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

OK that new DOT 5.1 looks good, I had never heard about it before. BTW this is about the same age and mileage that I had to replace the master cyclinders in all my various vans, which were /are all american made. I was just gonna have everything replaced and flushed, just to be sure, are the Toy master, wheel cyclinders better than my old ones??? I live in San Francisco near the ocean so that may be a consideration. vanman

<br />I have been using dot 5 silicone fluid for the last 30 years.<br />
<br /><br /><br /<br /> I used to road race motorcycles and back in that day it was SOP to strip down and clean out the disk brake systems, replace all the seals and refill with the silicone fluid. I don't know what is the hot set-up today. Edited by Vanman

My Motorcycles all have Silicone fluid, I mean they romp through creeks and boggs their entire working life up here in coastal Oregon. The nice thing about silicone is that IF you start with a new or rebuilt system you will not get any water based corrosion of your cylinders and you really never have to flush the system every few years like you are supposed to with regular fluid. I really don't know anybody that does flush their system regularly...

Any reccomandations on pads/shoes???? I thought thter was a post saying the stock parts were less grabby, but I don't see that now. A whole system fluid flush will be done and mabye the master cyclinder..

" I have found that I like the OEM brake pads and shoes better than aftermarket, they seem to be less grabby and quieter." I said that up above here. If you are doing a whole system flush it starts with the master cylinder, thats where you put the fluid in