Fridge power use?

krilov

I have a kill a watt power monitor between the shore power and my rv. Noticed that when I have nothing plugged in and no lights on, the monitor says that I'm using around 40 watts of power. Could this be solely the fridge or is there something I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

The older converters tend to overcharge coach battery's, when all they need is trickle. I converted mine to the new style, and leaving it plugged in 24/7 should be no problem.

Not sure what the 110 Vac draw is on the frig. Need to look in the manual.

My dometic refer manual shows that 120 AC volt side rated at 185 watts, that might be the heat output of the element though and not power draw. I could only find specs for the 12vdc models, not 120vac. I would think though its higher than 40 watts. The converter - battery charger will consume some power even if its doing nothing. It has a transformer that creates a resistance across the 120 volt side so it will always consume power. Same thing in your house. Those little power supplies that we plug into outlets to run all our different electronic gizmo's, they all consume electricity even if the gizmo is turned off. You have to have a switch that severs one leg of the 120 volt circuit to disconnect the transformers. Its known as a parasitic draw.

185 watts sounds about right for the heater element in the frig.

40 watts is about 1/3 amp @ 120Vac. That sounds about right for the 12 Vdc converter with no loads (charging battery only)

This weekend, I'll hook an ammeter to mine and see what it draws without any loads.