Another newbie!

chillin

Well, I am on the road for work and my wonderful girlfriend is slowly making it home in the middle of a snowstorm with our new 1980 toy 18' sunrader! I should see it tonight. I have been browsing through the forums here and wanted to say hello.

Apparently my first project is going to be a new starter. I am also researching generators, I don't believe there is anywhere for a built in one, so I'm thinking a portable gen mounted on a rear hitch rack. If anyone has advice on affordable generators or a line on a nice priced honda/onan let me know. Ours currently has no gas furnace instead it has a large AC/Heat roof unit that seems to work well, but also makes electricity a must for the upcoming winter trip we are going on.

Well wish us luck and I hope to see some of you out and about on our adventures.

Stephen

From what I've read about the optional heating elements that could be added to roof A/C, their heating ability is 'marginal'. In your position, I'd be looking at installing an Olympian Wave 3 or Wave 6 heater.

Where are you located and what sort of temperatures are you likely to face?

And welcome to the Forum.

I am also researching generators, I don't believe there is anywhere for a built in one, so I'm thinking a portable gen mounted on a rear hitch rack. If anyone has advice on affordable generators or a line on a nice priced honda/onan let me know.

Did you see the front-mount unit that warrior92 has? We were discussing safety and legality issues of it, but it certainly has an advantage in weight distribution. Hanging weight off the back of these little Toyhomes tends to exacerbate a tendency to be overloaded on the back axle. Mine has a generator from the factory and, like most of those, it is toward the front of the coach. Unfortunately it takes up the only outside storage space that existed. As a consequence I am looking at hanging some sort of storage box off the back of my rig on a hitch rack - creating the same problem I just warned you about. :)

Did you see the front-mount unit that warrior92 has? We were discussing safety and legality issues of it, but it certainly has an advantage in weight distribution. Hanging weight off the back of these little Toyhomes tends to exacerbate a tendency to be overloaded on the back axle. Mine has a generator from the factory and, like most of those, it is toward the front of the coach. Unfortunately it takes up the only outside storage space that existed. As a consequence I am looking at hanging some sort of storage box off the back of my rig on a hitch rack - creating the same problem I just warned you about. :)

I did read about the front mount, and was going to check back into that thread regarding the "issues" I live in Chicago, but we are heading out to Montana, Wyoming, Utah for most of February and March, so it will be COLD! Going to test out the heater this week and then decide on what supplements we might need. Just looked up the wave's and they look nice. Also nice to not need any electrical on them.

Thanks

Well, I think Chicago and Montana, Wyoming, Utah and all points in between and my first thought is that a generator mounted on the front bumper is going to look like a big, dirty snowball after you drive it through a snowstorm. Of course it'll all get cleaned off after going though the pressure washer (rain) and sandblasting (road grit). I'd only mount one in the rear, even though it's not the best place for added weight.