Roof sealant

Hi,

I just bought a 86 Dolphin (has correct 6 lug floating hub rear axles) and I noticed slight leak around front fresh air vent. Naturally it didn't leak while I was looking at it berfore buying. I did forum search and there were threads on using C-10 hypalon, snocoat roofing (wal mart) and lap sealant and butyl ruibber caulk for windows.

I don't have garage to do this now, I need to get the leak fixed 'til spring. I did notice that it looked like black roof sealant was around the vents.

Is this roof aluminum ?

Can I stand on the roof?, I weigh about 245 lbs.

I would welcome any suggestions as to best fix for the short term and also for the long term.

I would be applying this outside in cold and possibly wet conditions.

Thank you

Edited by roomballd

Most products will indicate in the fine print the acceptable conditions for use. Best to follow what you can find. Worst case, get some roofing tar that they say you can apply in the wet to tide you over until it warms up. Might be a bit messy to remove later with paint thinners, but a lot easier than repairing water damage.

Where are you located? Are you somewhere that finds 50 degrees 'too cold'?

I was working on mine today (replacing Roof Vents)

I weigh about 180 and made it a point to stay toward the edges.

I'll do a short writeup on replacing the roof vents with photos.

A good way to spread your weight when working on roof is to take a couple of pieces of stout plywood up there. Lay one ahead of the other and work your way around the roof useing these as snowshoe platforms. It puts less pounds per square inch on one spot & spreads the load. Have to agree with Derek up North (is there a Derek down south also?) to patch it up with some wet or dry stuff to hold you over till the dry time.

Most products will indicate in the fine print the acceptable conditions for use. Best to follow what you can find. Worst case, get some roofing tar that they say you can apply in the wet to tide you over until it warms up. Might be a bit messy to remove later with paint thinners, but a lot easier than repairing water damage.

Where are you located? Are you somewhere that finds 50 degrees 'too cold'?

I am in Seattle and it is definitely under 50, it has been snowing today

A good way to spread your weight when working on roof is to take a couple of pieces of stout plywood up there. Lay one ahead of the other and work your way around the roof useing these as snowshoe platforms. It puts less pounds per square inch on one spot & spreads the load. Have to agree with Derek up North (is there a Derek down south also?) to patch it up with some wet or dry stuff to hold you over till the dry time.

Thanks for the plywood tip!