Leaking Vents

waiter

Thought I'd share this with the group.

I meant to post this a few weeks ago, but wanted to wait until I get a couple photos. So here goes:

Right after I bought the ToyHouse I did a quick roof patch just to get me through the winter. A few weeks ago, To my surprise, I noticed I still had some minor leaks (pesky drip once every few minutes)

I had removed most of the vent hardware from inside and noticed cracks in each corner of the vents and also about mid way between the corners, just about were the mounting screws would be. As I watched, I seen an occasional drip come through these cracks.

As an interim fix, I dried the cracks with a paper towel and dabbed a little silicon sealant in the cracks. This will hold me off until I replace the vents (maybe next weekend)

The original vents have a plastic mounting flange and its cracked at every screw location. The vents I'm installing have a metal flange, so this problem shouldn't repeat itself.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-070375000 1293999309_thumb.jpg

post-4544-094663100 1293999321_thumb.jpg

Edited by waiter

• 2 years later...

What are your thoughts on eternabond tape vs a liquid rubber sealant , vs a rhino liner coating? The previous owner of my N/H removed the interior ceiling panels and I think got discouraged because of the needed repairs. ( I'm talking seeing daylight through the many pin holes on the roof!) I see on youtube that rhino linings has a product that would be great for an rv roof, but unfortunately none of the local rhino guys carries it. I'm considering just the standard truck bed lining as a roof sealant. Any oppinion?

Katcandeux

Thanks for the link to the pics. It is great and just what I had in mind.