81 dolphin with 5 bolt axles.

glowfur

Just bought this unit and was reading up on the axle issues for these types of vehicles. It appears that i have a 5 lug original. It was imported from the states and my understanding is that all safety recalled vehicles had to have been satisfied prior to any importation into Canada. Am I missing something? or did it slip in unnoticed? Anyway, any help regarding type and year of vehicles I can get a replacement axle out of from a junk vehicle?... I didn't know I put my life on the line when I purchased this...

I'm not certain, but unfortunately I don't think the 1-Ton Toyota was ever imported into Canada. If they were, quantities are very low. Last time I looked on www.car-part.com, there wasn't a single one listed in Canada.

As for the recall, if the vehicle is over 15 years old it doesn't get into the RIV system and nobody asks about recalls! Sorry.

Thanks Derek. It was brought across the border two years ago so that explains it. IF anyone out there in canada ( calgary) can help me find a conversion 6 lug I would be happy to pay a finders fee. I just completely re-did the interior and haven't taken it for a real drive yet... now I don't want to until I change out the axle. Although it makes one think that with only 70k miles and a wheel hasn't flown off might suggest it's still safe to drive??? any comments?

I'm not certain, but unfortunately I don't think the 1-Ton Toyota was ever imported into Canada. If they were, quantities are very low. Last time I looked on www.car-part.com, there wasn't a single one listed in Canada.

As for the recall, if the vehicle is over 15 years old it doesn't get into the RIV system and nobody asks about recalls! Sorry.

Knowing the year of your rig would be helpful. I'd suggest you search on my user name for posts from 2008. I'm almost positive you will find someone who told me what years of the rear axles have the same width leaf springs. This is one less thing to fabricate on the install. Later units have a wider leaf. I used a 1988 axle in my 1983 Sunrader and the springs were compatible. Odds are good you will have to import an axle from the U.S. If you have a pickup truck maybe it could be shipped to a terminal in Montana and held for pick up. Then you can drive over and load it up. I'm certain you only paid $100 for it and that should pose few if any problems with customs.