Hi out there! I recently purchased a 1984 Toyota Sunrader with themanual 4 speed transmission stuck in third gear. The guy I bought it from was driving it around (it has 91,000 original miles) and shifted as normal and it stuck in third gear. My questions: Is there any fixable remedy or any insights on 4 speed transmisions? and secondly, What years of Toyota are compatible for a transmission swap? Thanks for any help.

Edited by maranatha

There is/was a plastic bushing at the bottom of the gear shift lever if it's missing it may cause your problem. That unit has a side cover you maybe able to remove that and lever it out of 3rd but that only gets it out of gear and does not cure what ever made it stick in the first place.

It's possible the plastic bushing low cost and easy fix could be the problem, there are several small pieces when you pull the shift lever out to check it.I'd sure look at this before looking for a trans.

Everybody has been so great with helpful advice on this transmission problem and I greatly appreciate everyone's valuable imput.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows what years of transmissions swap out with this 1984 Sunrader? Do these swapouts only include the toyota trucks or does it include the older toyota cars as well?

And last question that is related to the above. If I swap it out for a 5 speed, what years of 5 speed will fit easily with this 1984 Sunrader? Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/rebuild-kit might be able to help you although they specialize in 4x4 transmissions. You can see that Toyota changed transmissions often.

I personally would stick with the 4-speed. In 4th gear you are a 1:1 gear which is direct drive and the most efficient transmission of power. The 5th gear overdrive requires spinning an additional shaft in the transmission sucking up power. A 5-speed will give you lower RPMs but with 96hp you don't really have the power to turn the overdrive gear. You will get lower noise in top gear but odds are pretty good you will actually lose fuel economy. On www.fueleconomy.gov you can look at the 1984 Toyota truck fuel mileage and see this. If you can find their raw data files from 1978-1983 you will see this same thing on almost any small car with under 100hp.......lower fuel mileage on the 5-speed. As vehicles got more powerful in the 1980s this counterintuitive mileage situation disappeared.

Thank you for that important knowledge on the 4 speed. I believe from what you told me I will stick with a 4 speed. Thanks again for this very helpful information.

http://www.marlincra...ion/rebuild-kit might be able to help you although they specialize in 4x4 transmissions. You can see that Toyota changed transmissions often.

I personally would stick with the 4-speed. In 4th gear you are a 1:1 gear which is direct drive and the most efficient transmission of power. The 5th gear overdrive requires spinning an additional shaft in the transmission sucking up power. A 5-speed will give you lower RPMs but with 96hp you don't really have the power to turn the overdrive gear. You will get lower noise in top gear but odds are pretty good you will actually lose fuel economy. On www.fueleconomy.gov you can look at the 1984 Toyota truck fuel mileage and see this. If you can find their raw data files from 1978-1983 you will see this same thing on almost any small car with under 100hp.......lower fuel mileage on the 5-speed. As vehicles got more powerful in the 1980s this counterintuitive mileage situation disappeared.