Having spent the summer 'cruising' up and down Vancouver Island in our 'new to us' 1992 - 21.5' Warrior, we realize we could use a little bit more storage space for our chairs, folding table, RV mat, etc.

We have purchased a 181L Rubbermaid Action Packer (available at Canadian Tire) and are having a welding shop fabricate a mount for it.

The Action Packer with most of what we want to stow in it will weigh about 40kg. Hopefully this will not cause us any problems.

If anyone has any comments on this type of installation, we would appreciate you contacting us. We are wondering how much weight would be too much.

181L = 48 gals approx.

40 kg. = 88 lbs approx. (let's say 90 as there will be the mounting fabrication)

Having spent the summer 'cruising' up and down Vancouver Island in our 'new to us' 1992 - 21.5' Warrior, we realize we could use a little bit more storage space for our chairs, folding table, RV mat, etc.

We have purchased a 181L Rubbermaid Action Packer (available at Canadian Tire) and are having a welding shop fabricate a mount for it.

The Action Packer with most of what we want to stow in it will weigh about 40kg. Hopefully this will not cause us any problems.

If anyone has any comments on this type of installation, we would appreciate you contacting us. We are wondering how much weight would be too much.

181L = 48 gals approx.

40 kg. = 88 lbs approx. (let's say 90 as there will be the mounting fabrication)

I have a 1985 21 ft New Horizon and ran around with an aluminum truck box back there full of stuff for a year. At least 150lbs, with no problems. NOW, I have a 425# motorcycle back there and she still hauls just fine, though with a 5 foot lever from the rear axle, I can definitely feel the traction difference in the front wheels, especially when windy. But at the weight you are going for, you shouldn't have any problems. I WOULD try to locate any of the heavier things you may have in the back to the front, though. I took off my tire under the rear fender and tossed it up on the roof over the bunk area. My heavy tools and such stay up front on the passenger floor. Always travel with tanks empty. Whatever weight back there I can offset. But mine is an extreme setup for what these little things are designed for. You should be fine.

Just make sure they are not welding to the flimsy fender, or fender mounts. You need the load to be connected to the FRAME rails! I saw a Toy with it's fender dragging and a box attached with U-Bolts after it hit a good pothole. The mounts are too flimsy in most cases. Yours might be OK, but just verify. When all is finished, get in/on the box and hop up and down simulating the forces the mount will experience in actual use. If it can hold you, it will be fine.

Thank you, Wetboy, for your answer. The Winnebago is at the welding shop as we speak and the fellow who is doing the work was confident that the unit can withstand the weight we have planned for it.

Not sure if we'll move that spare tire up over the bunk, but it could be an option we'll consider.

Now to figure out what to do about finding space for a second battery.

Now to figure out what to do about finding space for a second battery.

Hi!

Which '92 Warrior do you have? We have a "new" '92 Warrior 321RL, but there seem to be more people who have the 321RB. Near as I can tell, the primary distinction is that the RB has a dinette that makes into a bed, while the RL has a smaller "L" shaped dinette seat that does not make into a bed and the coach door is moved back nearly 2 feet. On the RL, there is (or was when new) a swivel chair bolted to the floor in front of the coach door - immediately behind the passenger seat of the cab.

We have the same issue as you - where to put a second battery. Actually, I think we have decided to add a pair of six-volt batteries. Since batteries need to be vented to the outside and sealed from the interior, my thought is to remove the swivel seat and build some sort of a box in its place with an access door on the side of the coach just in front of the door. I'm thinking of cutting a piece of a used water tank with appropriate dimensions - going to an RV junk yard on Saturday to look for tanks. Once I get that all done, I will probably either find or have built a cabinet to go over it to dress up the inside of the coach - maybe with some extra storage above the battery compartment for possible later addition of an inverter - and provide a seat and/or foot rest for the couch. If I get this done (over the winter), I'll post pix. Meanwhile, let me know what you end up with for second battery storage!

Hi!

Which '92 Warrior do you have? We have a "new" '92 Warrior 321RL, but there seem to be more people who have the 321RB. Near as I can tell, the primary distinction is that the RB has a dinette that makes into a bed, while the RL has a smaller "L" shaped dinette seat that does not make into a bed and the coach door is moved back nearly 2 feet. On the RL, there is (or was when new) a swivel chair bolted to the floor in front of the coach door - immediately behind the passenger seat of the cab.

We have the same issue as you - where to put a second battery. Actually, I think we have decided to add a pair of six-volt batteries. Since batteries need to be vented to the outside and sealed from the interior, my thought is to remove the swivel seat and build some sort of a box in its place with an access door on the side of the coach just in front of the door. I'm thinking of cutting a piece of a used water tank with appropriate dimensions - going to an RV junk yard on Saturday to look for tanks. Once I get that all done, I will probably either find or have built a cabinet to go over it to dress up the inside of the coach - maybe with some extra storage above the battery compartment for possible later addition of an inverter - and provide a seat and/or foot rest for the couch. If I get this done (over the winter), I'll post pix. Meanwhile, let me know what you end up with for second battery storage!

I am not sure which # (321 or whatever) we have. It has a dinette that makes into a bed, between the door and the refrig. It also has a fold down couch opposite, from the back of the driver's seat over to the sink wall of the galley. Lots of sleeping space, most we don't need. But the couch is great for those times when we want to lounge and read. The 'bathroom' is across the back with a sliding door for privacy.

We have been told the batteries must not be accessed/vented from inside the coach. So we are maybe looking to enlarge the space where the current one is so that two can fit. So far we haven't had a problem running out of power, luckily.

We had our welder tell us he doesn't bother with deep cycle batteries anymore. He says they don't last as long as regular ones. Any opinions on that?

I am not sure which # (321 or whatever) we have. It has a dinette that makes into a bed, between the door and the refrig. It also has a fold down couch opposite, from the back of the driver's seat over to the sink wall of the galley. Lots of sleeping space, most we don't need. But the couch is great for those times when we want to lounge and read. The 'bathroom' is across the back with a sliding door for privacy.

We have been told the batteries must not be accessed/vented from inside the coach. So we are maybe looking to enlarge the space where the current one is so that two can fit. So far we haven't had a problem running out of power, luckily.

We had our welder tell us he doesn't bother with deep cycle batteries anymore. He says they don't last as long as regular ones. Any opinions on that?

Sounds like you have the 321RB or, more precisely, the WT321RB. The "3" was the Warrior or "Micro" series; the 21 was the length and the "RB" meant Rear Bath. The "RL" is also a rear bath and I think the "L" meant something like "Lounge". It sleeps fewer, because it has only the cab-over bed and the sofa (same one as yours, I think). Your door is clear at the front of the coach, while the "RL" has the door a couple feet farther back (you can see in the picture that I use as my avatar). My battery is in front of the door and I don't find any easy way to expand the battery storage in that location, which is why I man considering building a new box for the batteries. You are correct that the battery box must not be vented inside the trailer, which is why I intend to build a sealed box vented and accessible only from the outside.

As to deep cycle batteries not lasting as long as "regular" ones, that is very much contrary to my understanding, though I admit to not being an expert. I understand that deep cycle batteries are specifically designed to discharge completely or nearly so and recharge repeatedly with minimal loss of storage capacity. "Regular" batteries, on the other hand, are specifically designed to have maximum power when fully charged, but not to be significantly discharged. Therefore, when you run the regular battery down frequently, it rapidly loses its ability to hold a charge. Before I took a welder's advice, I would probably consult a person (or online resource) with more battery expertise.

When you get your battery expansion done, I'd sure like to see how you accomplish it!

Here is a site that gives some basic information about the differences between types of batteries and tells why you want a deep cycle battery as your "house" battery.

Another site has this information:

• A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.
  • A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.

A car battery typically has two ratings:

• CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) for 30 seconds
  • RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts

Typically, a deep cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a car battery, but will deliver one-half or three-quarters the CCAs. In addition, a deep cycle battery can withstand several hundred total discharge/recharge cycles, while a car battery is not designed to be totally discharged.

I hope all that helps.

Edited by dayoff53

Sounds like you have the 321RB or, more precisely, the WT321RB. The "3" was the Warrior or "Micro" series; the 21 was the length and the "RB" meant Rear Bath. The "RL" is also a rear bath and I think the "L" meant something like "Lounge". It sleeps fewer, because it has only the cab-over bed and the sofa (same one as yours, I think). Your door is clear at the front of the coach, while the "RL" has the door a couple feet farther back (you can see in the picture that I use as my avatar). My battery is in front of the door and I don't find any easy way to expand the battery storage in that location, which is why I man considering building a new box for the batteries. You are correct that the battery box must not be vented inside the trailer, which is why I intend to build a sealed box vented and accessible only from the outside.

As to deep cycle batteries not lasting as long as "regular" ones, that is very much contrary to my understanding, though I admit to not being an expert. I understand that deep cycle batteries are specifically designed to discharge completely or nearly so and recharge repeatedly with minimal loss of storage capacity. "Regular" batteries, on the other hand, are specifically designed to have maximum power when fully charged, but not to be significantly discharged. Therefore, when you run the regular battery down frequently, it rapidly loses its ability to hold a charge. Before I took a welder's advice, I would probably consult a person (or online resource) with more battery expertise.

When you get your battery expansion done, I'd sure like to see how you accomplish it!

Hi!

Our unit is indeed the Winnebago Micro 321RL (manual says 1992). New to us July 2, 2010.

We just had a mount for the Rubbermaid box welded on using the trailer hitch. It is fairly easily removed. Picture attached.