84 Dolphin Tires

Fred3

So now we own an 84 Dolphin motorhome.

The tires have perfect tread, but were manufactured in 1998... I want new tires.

I called around for a set of LT 195 75R 14 tires... I'm learning that they are difficult to find. I have a quote from Les Sch**b (I usually trade there and have been satisfied) of 1000 for a set of six, cooper tires, have to order and wait 6 days.

I'm also seeing that some use ST rated 185's (trailer tires). They seem to be less expensive.

Anybody got any wisdom/experience pro/con with putting ST tires on their rigs???

My speedometer is "right on" with the existing 195's.

Thanks,

Fred3

Save the trailer tires for a trailer. What you want are a 185R14" Load Range 'D' (sometimes called '8-Ply'). Most readily available seem to be the Yokohama Y356 (Summer) and Hankook RA08 (4-Season). This size is pretty much exactly the same diameter as your old tires so won't affect your speedometer. They're quite reasonably priced, too.

http://www.onlinetir...08+n%252Fa.html

So, for 6, about $550 inc. shipping from California to Upstate New York.

Another tire to ask about is the Continental Vanco2.

Save the trailer tires for a trailer. What you want are a 185R14" Load Range 'D' (sometimes called '8-Ply'). Most readily available seem to be the Yokohama Y356 (Summer) and Hankook RA08 (4-Season). This size is pretty much exactly the same diameter as your old tires so won't affect your speedometer. They're quite reasonably priced, too.

http://www.onlinetir...08+n%252Fa.html

So, for 6, about $550 inc. shipping from California to Upstate New York.

Another tire to ask about is the Continental Vanco2.

Thanks Derek, I placed an order and arranged installation... saved 323 bucks.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

I have a quote from Les Sch**b (I usually trade there and have been satisfied) of 1000 for a set of six, cooper tires, have to order and wait 6 days.

Mine are from Les Schwab (3 or 4 years ago). They are Nankang Radial Light Truck 185R14C 8-ply rated and I am very happy with them. I don't think they are ordinarily in stock, and don't even know if they are still made, but you might ask about them as well.

• 1 month later...

I went with the Hankook RA08 185R14 load range D and couldn't believe the improvement in ride and sound reduction. I included an alignment and the ride is sweet.

T.A.J.

So now we own an 84 Dolphin motorhome.

The tires have perfect tread, but were manufactured in 1998... I want new tires.

I called around for a set of LT 195 75R 14 tires... I'm learning that they are difficult to find. I have a quote from Les Sch**b (I usually trade there and have been satisfied) of 1000 for a set of six, cooper tires, have to order and wait 6 days.

I'm also seeing that some use ST rated 185's (trailer tires). They seem to be less expensive.

Anybody got any wisdom/experience pro/con with putting ST tires on their rigs???

My speedometer is "right on" with the existing 195's.

Thanks,

Fred3

Finished the 30 day & 6000 mile trip on the new tires.

The tires were great. Very glad I replaced them.

There is an error in odometer reading now due to the smaller size (185'S that replaced the 195's) of 5%. Not that it matters, but I logged and measured gas mileage.

One tank was 20 mpg steady 40-50 mph flat no wind light rain back and forth on jacks Valley Rd. from Genoa NV to Carson City - one trip per day for 7 days.

Worst tank was 11.9 mpg foot to the floor uphill from 1200' elev to 5000' and into strong head and crosswinds, making maybe 55 mph tops but often only 45 mph in 3rd gear.

Average was 16.5 from Fortuna CA, to Lake Tahoe, to Carson City, to Las Vegas, to Nashville (I-40), then back to Osage Mo, then Barstow (I-40), over to I-5 near Wasco, then up to Hwy-20 and over to 101 and home (Fortuna CA).

From Holbrook AZ we made real good time at 70 mpg to home at 15.5 to 16 mpg. No wind issues.

TIRES were great.