Intro & Winterizing Question

ekim121

I became the proud new owner of an 86 Escaper a few months ago and have been lurking/reading on here since the search began in earnest.  I have to say its great having a dedicated following to draw knowledge from.  At any rate, its been a decent rig thus far, especially considering I only gave $1700 for it.  Thus far I've had to replace the sail switch in the furnace and tinker with the taillamps as well as replace the front crank seal on the engine, but other than those minor blips on the radar I love the thing.  

The question I have is about winterizing as the nighttime lows have started to dip.  I've read up and understand what the water system needs, but what other things should I take care of before I put it away for the winter?  The camper seems to be sealed well around the windows and seams as I can't find any leaks and we've had it out in some good rain storms, but does it need to be sealed as a preventative measure?  If so how often and what should I use?  Thanks in advance!

Thanks.  Its definitely rough around the edges, but I agree, for the price I couldn't be happier.  I had a Toyota Pickup with the 22re a while back and was quite impressed with its reliability and simplicity.  That combined with always wanting a camper and thinking the Toyota Campers were cool since I was little was enough to put me over the edge.   

I am in Iowa so winter typically entails 40-50" of snow anually as well as below freezing temperatures from November to March depending on the severity of winter. I'm going to winterize the water system in the next few weeks to make sure it gets done before temps drop below freezing but I'll be using the camper until Thanksgiving. As such, it'll likely sit from Thanksgiving until mid March.

Hmm...good call, I'll have to think about that.  While we do get a good amount of snow it typically comes in waves and definitely blows/drifts alot.  Perhaps I'll talk to some people around here and see what people do.  Also I've read online its good to try to seal up any openings to keep critters out as much as possible.  I was thinking of using the self adhesive plastic some people put over drafty windows in the winter.  Think something like that would work?