Surf racks?

cdnsurf

So I have a 85 ranger, which I've seen very few of out there but I'm trying to figure out a way to put surfboards on the roof, there's the racks on there already but not really suitable for boards because it's a three sided rack. Anybody out there have any ideas??

I've had great success building a few racks for past campers out of PVC if you're not embarrassed or out to impress anyone. I'd have to dig deep tho for pics sorry. This was pre-digital camera days. PVC was great. Would add end caps to the tubes and add an eyebolt for the strapping. The tube ends could be removed to store something like a small fishing rod.

Anywhoo... now I just make sure the camper design can store boards inside. In my case strapped atop the kitchen counter and extended to the overhead bed. Board covers are a must tho if you don't want wax melting on your pillows or down your cabinet faces. Inside is the best, but it does have its disadvantages while in transit.

Ya not really too worried about impressing people with the way looks, that's for sure. Been carrying my shortboards inside but I need to strap the longboard to the roof somehow. Did you attach the pvc to to the existing racks?

Definitely not putting any holes in the roof...hopefully going to making a tofino trip in the next few months and don't want to take any chances on the leak factor. Headed to home depot to pick up some pvc and strpping right now and hooking it to existing racks...11 ft longboard is just way to bulky inside!!!

11 ft can be a tad much to dael with :P

The beauty of pvc is you can glass it straight to your roof once you've grinded/scuffed it up. With my pop-up VW camper, we glassed 1-1/2" PVC in 3 sections to catch both longboards and shortboards. Maybe I can take a picture of an old picture with my digital camera (don't own a scanner) with the boards piled high. fun stuff.

Gluck sounds fun.

There have been several past posts about rooftop racks for canoes and kayaks. Put the word 'canoe' or 'kayak' in the search box at the top of the page; you'll find them.

Yeah the 11 ft is a little much to deal with but I got it from my old man and it's the only longboard I have so...but I ended up strapping the pvc to the existing racks and have the 11'0, a 7'0 single fin and a 5'10 and 6'2 fishes. All ready for summer tour!! This is my first toyota camper I've always been a vw guy too and on my splittie's I'd strap the board to a empi wood rack on them and my westies I'd install the rain gutter things and use thule/yakima systems. Thanks for the idea!!!

I did end up putting holes into the roof, four lag screw on each side, they are there mainly

to keep the rack from sliding, the front and rear straps do all the work of holding the

canoe down. I used lag wood screws instead of a bolt/nut combo since the wood screw would

provide a much tighter seal against water. Also, a thin rubber washer placed between the

metal roof and the composite decking boards help ensure that water does not get in. It also

helps that the decking board is about six inches wide and that composite decking board does

not warp or take in water, the decking board also acts like a cap over the holes to help

prevent water damage.

A good view of the canoe rack is picture: www.tipton-in.com/canoe/100_3446.JPG

Dennis...

It actually is a Gruman 17 foot canoe!

I can actually get it up and down by myself. I lay the canoe on the ground on

the drivers side, then lift up one end and lay it on the rack's side bar.

I then get up on the roof and I pull the canoe upright with one end still on

the ground. Since the canoe is 17 feet long and the roof rack is right about

at 10 feet, I have 6 to 7 feet of the canoe above the roof rack side bar.

I then just lean on the canoe, putting some of my weight on it, and the other

end easily lifts off the ground. Since the canoe weights about 90 pounds, I just

need to put about 45 pounds of weight/pressure on it.

As the canoe levels out, I just slowly slide it across the roof and place the

top end on the passenger side of the roof rack side bar. At this point the

entire canoe is on the roof. I then just slide it 90 degree onto the front and

rear roof rack. I have U-Clamps on the front and back roof rack bars so that

the canoe always gets placed in the same exact spot and they prevent the canoe

from moving sideways.

The canoe is almost effortless to put up, the hardest part is carrying the

canoe to the side of the Toyota.

Later,

Dennis...

That looks rather like my old 17' Grumman canoe (85lbs). How do you manage to get it up there?

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten rid of mine. But I hardly ever used it and decided that if I was just going to look at it, I'd rather look at a cedar & canvas canoe instead. So, out with the new (technology) and in with the old!

I agree with the difficulty of moving it on dry land. Bulletproof, but heavy! Not to mention noisy on the water.