"76 sunrader?

jthampton66

I am looking at a motorhome that the owner says is a "76 sunrader (it says that on the side) she also says the whole back area opens up kind of like a modern toy hauler. Anybody know what this vehicle is, it does have an early 70"s toyota front end. I have not seen the motor she is only asking $500. Think its worth it? James

So a quick update it turns out that it is a "78 sunrader with a 20R and a 4speed trans.

Edited by jthampton66

I would say it is probably worth it. The toyhauler conversion is most likely home-brewed, and should be looked over thoroughly. My brother sort of specializes in toyhauler conversions on Silver Streak trailers. Don't let anyone tell you the conversion can't or shouldn't be done. The key is doing it correctly with reinforcements where needed, and well thought out engineering.

I am looking at a motorhome that the owner says is a "76 sunrader (it says that on the side) she also says the whole back area opens up kind of like a modern toy hauler. Anybody know what this vehicle is, it does have an early 70"s toyota front end. I have not seen the motor she is only asking $500. Think its worth it? James

So a quick update it turns out that it is a "78 sunrader with a 20R and a 4speed trans.

Hi - Sunrader did make a model that the whole back lifted up, and the back had a smaller door for access if you did not want to open the entire back. This was a great setup and I don't know why Sunrader stopped making this model. I think it definitely is worth a look as these models were extremely rare. I have seen one mid 70's Sunrader with an aluminum coach body which would not be too good, but if this one has a molded fiberglass coach and six lug rear axle, I think it would be worth considering.

Bill

I have a 78 Sunrader as well with the camper stating 1976...I love it and it's been worth every dime. Plus, during the remodle I came across a package which had a gold 14k necklace from the home shopping network with an invoice stating it cost $93 bucks! It's like I'm making money with this gem of an RV...

It's the rare Sunrader model worth every penny of $500 with or without a 6 lug rear.

Allen

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a 79 sunrader 20r 4speed and love it. I am having a leak though when I turn on the water pump for the sink and shower. It is sending water out into the carpet. Anyone know what I should be looking for? Can't locate the source yet, -Greg

PS. Great RV...

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have never seen one:-

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rvs/1805796522.html

A novel idea, having 2 door seals to leak instead of one. It would almost make sense if the interior 'fittings' were designed to easily unclip and remove so you could use it to transport 'stuff'!

That is my old Sunrader, I've since purchased a new one. 1985 Model with the extra 2' of storage space. ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY! I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $500!!!!

That is my old Sunrader, I've since purchased a new one. 1985 Model with the extra 2' of storage space. ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY! I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $500!!!!

Here is an updated craigslist posting of this bad boy. Selling it to hopefully put the money into Project Sog. This will show you pretty much everything about these bad boys.

http://sunrader.com/gallery Click on the piclense to see a slideshow.

Here is the updated craigslist ad.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rvs/1834053534.html