what should I look for when buying a dolphin motorhome

Grace

I am lookin at an '86 Toyota Dolphin to buy and just wondering if anyone has one of these and how they like it and also what I should check out before we buy it. We are getting a pre-purchase check done, so just wonderig if there is anything else we should inspect that they don't before we buy it.

Thanks so much for you time. :)

Hi Grace and welcome to the forums here. Water damage is your number one concern. We know someone who recently had to have theirs rebuilt because of leaks. Apparently Dolphin uses particle board for some of its structure and when it gets wet it tends to fall apart. Look for areas where thee might be water stains on the walls and ceiling, around windows and vents. Don't be afraid to move stuff to look, look inside cabinets etc.. Sometimes though leaks can be inside the walls and not leave stains. Visually sight along the exterior walls to see if they are straight. Bowing can be a sign of trouble. Do the same with the roof as a sagging ceiling could also be a sign of trouble. The other big concern is the rear axle. That year would have originally been built with the bad axle. The full floating axle is a safety necessity. You can check the axle facts here http://toyotamotorhomes.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=6 for more information. As far as the appliances go they should all be working correctly. Refrigerators can go bad and are expensive to replace or repair. Ask to level it and try it, it takes along time to get cold but with in 10 minuets the freezer tray should start getting very cold. I hope that helps, I am sure others will add to my list. Also in the Gallery under Yahoo files there should be a buyers guide somewhere.

HI turbo greg~

Thanks for the info. and kindness. I can't believe you're in boulder creek!!! We live in Ben lomond....what a small world!!!

You've probably driven past the motorhome we are looking into buying, it's been parked in front of the abbott's thrift store in felton. Right now it is getting checked out at ernie's(in felton)

So, it actually does have water damage inside on the wall(about 2 ft. in length, but not very wide) and they said it shouldn't be a problem or spread if we just take care of it. I was concerned about that though, we really aren't thay picky and realize this won't last us forevor, but at the same time we don't wanna buy s/t that's going to fall apart right away!

So really, what's the worst thing that can happen with water damage and is there anything we can do to fix it-keep it from spreading?

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Grace

Well the worst thing with the Dolphin I mentioned was it had to be rebuilt. It was a major rebuild because the particle board had fallen apart. I guess Dolphin uses particle board for main support structures where other coach builders use plywood and real wood. Unfortunately its hidden behind walls so you can't see it. Some of the signs I mentioned before, warped or bowed siding, a sagging roof. What is below where you see the water damage. How did the water get in. Sealing the outside where ever water might enter is the key. This guy http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/ is the guy who repaired the Dolphin I mentioned. You might want to give him a call as he is an expert, the real expert when it comes to Dolphin's and RV repair.

Greg forwarded me your message - I have just gone thru a massive rebuild on my overhead and entire upper driver side to the tune of $8600, done by Dr. George here in Sacramento - and I know he didn't charge me what he could have, given the extent of the damage.

Gregg is correct that the interior framing in particleboard, and when wet, disintegrates. My rig looked really nice, inside and out, until it started separating from the drivers door to the coach and up the overhead. I'm at work and don't have the pictures available. but it was much worse when we got into it.

I decided to go ahead with the rebuild as mine is a 91 with 45K, and when the head gasket recall was done, I had them replace timing belt, all new spark plugs/wires, hoses, etc. so it's like new. Everything else works wonderfully, and I put the money into it thinking I'd keep it 'til I can't drive anymore! And I love the silly thing - had it to Union Valley Reservoir for 6 days over the weekend and everyone loves it.

To make a long story short, unless this motorhome is VERY cheap (or free), has low miles and if everything works, I wouldn't consider it. There's a number of decent rigs around if you look. And Dr. George will gladly take a look at any rig under consideration - free for a 20 minute once-over, $100 or so to verify all systems work as they should.

Sorry this is so long, but owing one of these toyhouses is a comittment and there's always something to do/fix and you must be prepared!

Any questions, contact me directly at clundsten@sbcglobal.net. Thanks! Carol

• 1 month later...

I had to repair water damage on my '83 dolphin this past spring, and it was a huge job......I figure it cost me about $1000 in supplies and my brother and I put in I'd estimate about 200 hours labour. So, if I were you I'd look carefully and try to avoid a camper with water damage......eventually the damage will have to be repaired, and it will cost you a lot of money or a lot of time, or both.

• 9 months later...

Dolphin construction design and materials evidently varies with year of manufacture. Neither our '83 nor our '86 utilize any "particle board" in their structures (except the kitchen countertop, that is :)).

The '83 has aluminum wall and roof skin, stick (3/4"x3/4" wood) wall framing, tapered wood rafters, and 3/16" luan plywood paneling interior walls and ceiling. Oh, and a tiny blanket of fiberglass insulation. Floor is a laminate of 3/8" plywood, 1" foam, 1/4" plywood and fiberglass skin.

The '86 is typical RV "Laminate" construction...That is, fiberglass exterior (aluminum on roof) laminated (glued) to 3/16" Luan plywood, which is laminated to 3/4" foam, which is laminated to 3/16" Luan-based interior paneling. There is 3/4" wood framing in the laminate around windows, door, roof vents, and all edges. Floor is 3/4" exterior Plywood framed by 1" square steel tubing and "C" channel crossmembers.

And yes, both these units have suffered fairly extensive water damage in their long lives. Both are regardless still in service. I surmise that any old RV is a "Labor of Love", Eh??

Lew