Hello, and glad to be aboard!

After looking at a few replacements for our aged B class, I've found a NICE looking 85 Sunland with the rear dinette option, 78,000 miles, well maintained by a retired couple.

Found this forum, and did a little searching.

Is the rear axle situation really something I need to worry about? Just how problematic is this?

Is there a simple way to check if if it's about to go? If so, what's the "donor" vehicle to get the 6 lug axle and wheels from?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to look at the RV this afternoon, it's ~ 3 hours away, and based on my experience shopping for a Toyota RV, they don't last long before someone snaps it up. I'd hate to miss out, almost as much as I'd hate to have the axle fail somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks!!!

Mike.

Hello, and glad to be aboard!

After looking at a few replacements for our aged B class, I've found a NICE looking 85 Sunland with the rear dinette option, 78,000 miles, well maintained by a retired couple.

Found this forum, and did a little searching.

Is the rear axle situation really something I need to worry about? Just how problematic is this?

Is there a simple way to check if if it's about to go? If so, what's the "donor" vehicle to get the 6 lug axle and wheels from?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to look at the RV this afternoon, it's ~ 3 hours away, and based on my experience shopping for a Toyota RV, they don't last long before someone snaps it up. I'd hate to miss out, almost as much as I'd hate to have the axle fail somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks!!!

Mike.

If it hasn't been changed out for a 1-Ton (6 lug) axle, I think the only way to check the axle would be to take it apart and do some NDT testing and replace the bearing.

For a replacement, I think you can use any one from a 1-Ton pickup. Check www.car-part.com

'4x2, dual whl, 1 ton'

Car-part doesn't mention any choice of axle ratio, so there's probably only one. I could be wrong. I know my ex-wife always said I was.

Car-part has many listed from $200 to $1200.

Good luck with your search.

P.S. I assume it's not this one:-

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs/1687800241.html

Let us know where you are. Maybe there's someone who knows of one and/or could help you go and check one out. I doubt you're anywhere near Montreal (nobody is, it seems) or I'd offer!

Most were 4.10 there were some 4.56 but what matters is the full floating rear. The semi floating or 1/2 ton will break an axle with a 20-21 foot motor home it's just a matter of time. When they do you lose the wheels and the rear brakes at the same time with out warning not a good thing. This can be an expensive proposition because you will need wheels along with the entire axel assembly some will require some fabrication and a fair amount of labor. So if the MH has a ½ ton rear subtract a least $1,500 from the price you are willing to pay.

If it hasn't been changed out for a 1-Ton (6 lug) axle, I think the only way to check the axle would be to take it apart and do some NDT testing and replace the bearing.

For a replacement, I think you can use any one from a 1-Ton pickup. Check www.car-part.com

'4x2, dual whl, 1 ton'

Car-part doesn't mention any choice of axle ratio, so there's probably only one. I could be wrong. I know my ex-wife always said I was.

Car-part has many listed from $200 to $1200.

Good luck with your search.

P.S. I assume it's not this one:-

http://pensacola.cra...1687800241.html

Let us know where you are. Maybe there's someone who knows of one and/or could help you go and check one out. I doubt you're anywhere near Montreal (nobody is, it seems) or I'd offer!

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply!

I'm in Ottawa, almost in the neighborhood!

I checked car-part, and, nada. looked for a few different years, 87 to 95. Any suggestions?

It's too bad, the Sunland looks like a PEACH. Nice floor plan too.

I was all ready to drive 3 hours and give them a deposit before someone else grabbed it. Looks like I dodged a bullet, thanks to this forum.

Mike.

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply!

I'm in Ottawa, almost in the neighborhood!

I checked car-part, and, nada. looked for a few different years, 87 to 95. Any suggestions?

It's too bad, the Sunland looks like a PEACH. Nice floor plan too.

I was all ready to drive 3 hours and give them a deposit before someone else grabbed it. Looks like I dodged a bullet, thanks to this forum.

Mike.

Well, hang on there nearly neighbour. First things first.

1 - Are you sure that it hasn't already had the axle changed already? Do you happen to have a picture of the back wheel with no hubcap installed?

2 - You're right, Car-part doesn't kick out a single result for the 1-Ton axle in Canada. I've always suspected but never bothered to confirm that Toyota never sold the 1-Ton (BTW, I read somewhere that it's actually a 1-Tonne) into Canada. I certainly don't remember ever seeing any around.

3 - You can look at Car-part and search in the US. For a ZIP code, use 12901 (Plattsburgh, NY) or 05404 (Burlington, Vt). I alway just use 1992 for the year. It'll kick out any year 1-Tonne axle anyway. As luck would have it, there's one listed at D. Richard in Colchester for $550. It's low miles and listed as coming from a MH. I suspect that the MH is Dan's!! They're just down the road from the Auction place.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=2647

http://www.drichauto.com/

So that makes 3 of us in each other's pockets. Bryon from Buckingham has just joined and bought a Toy. We'll have to get together. Maybe we could call the Chateau Montebello and ask if they'd let us camp in their parking lot?

Well, hang on there nearly neighbour. First things first.

1 - Are you sure that it hasn't already had the axle changed already? Do you happen to have a picture of the back wheel with no hubcap installed?

2 - You're right, Car-part doesn't kick out a single result for the 1-Ton axle in Canada. I've always suspected but never bothered to confirm that Toyota never sold the 1-Ton (BTW, I read somewhere that it's actually a 1-Tonne) into Canada. I certainly don't remember ever seeing any around.

3 - You can look at Car-part and search in the US. For a ZIP code, use 12901 (Plattsburgh, NY) or 05404 (Burlington, Vt). I alway just use 1992 for the year. It'll kick out any year 1-Tonne axle anyway. As luck would have it, there's one listed at D. Richard in Colchester for $550. It's low miles and listed as coming from a MH. I suspect that the MH is Dan's!! They're just down the road from the Auction place.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=2647

http://www.drichauto.com/

So that makes 3 of us in each other's pockets. Bryon from Buckingham has just joined and bought a Toy. We'll have to get together. Maybe we could call the Chateau Montebello and ask if they'd let us camp in their parking lot?

Called today, and it's a 5 lug. mad2.gif

They called the original owner, who knew nothing of any recall, or problem, for that matter. Ignorance is bliss, to a point... I guess. I think by the time I got an axle and all the rest here and installed it'd be a bit past my budget. This is the first decent one I've seen that's less than $10,000.

Think that $550 would include the wheels etc? Edit, he's got wheels, $75 each, so I'm guessing no..

I spotted a NICE one up around Lac Simon, maybe that's the one Byron found? I looked, took pics last Fall, but never did get a call back from the seller. Might have been a language barrier thing, of perhaps it had already sold.

Called today, and it's a 5 lug. mad2.gif

They called the original owner, who knew nothing of any recall, or problem, for that matter. Ignorance is bliss, to a point... I guess. I think by the time I got an axle and all the rest here and installed it'd be a bit past my budget. This is the first decent one I've seen that's less than $10,000.

Think that $550 would include the wheels etc? Edit, he's got wheels, $75 each, so I'm guessing no..

I spotted a NICE one up around Lac Simon, maybe that's the one Byron found? I looked, took pics last Fall, but never did get a call back from the seller. Might have been a language barrier thing, of perhaps it had already sold.

Yes, they are expensive up here. You can get more bang for the buck South of the border. Of course there's the logistics problem to overcome, but in my case I've got more time than money!

I'm not sure where Bryon got his from. He said it was 6 hours drive back to Buckingham, so that's a lot of territory! And he got there by train, in 6 hours, too, so I think that rules out Lac Simon!

How about this one?

http://nh.craigslist.org/rvs/1683699890.html