85 Dolphin - Water Heater issues

WhidbeyDave

I recently bought a well-used 1985 Dolphin and am in the process of some basic repairs and renovations prior to actually traveling in it. (Family needs mean I won't be able to go anywhere for a month or so). The sellers mentioned that the original water heater "has a short in it" when used on 110, but "works fine" when used on LP. I haven't tried it yet either way, but have pulled the dinette seat out and noted that there is a cardboard enclosure around the water heater inside the coach. The cardboard is quite damp all around the wall side - both sides and the top. I'm thinking this is probably a leak around the exterior door between the ext. wall and the door frame, but a local repair guy mentioned that it probably means the tank is leaking. (This was sight unseen, I just stopped in today in my other car and described the problem, looking to get some butyl tape to reseal the doorframe, and described the wet area to the repair guy - who does come highly reccomended) So I've done a bit of research and have the following questions:

1. Anyone else have similar problems? Suggestions on ways to identify the leaking area and repair it?

2. Is there any reason I shouldn't cut away the cardboard enclosure to inspect the tank? Could I replace it with a thin plywood - like doorskin?

3. If worst comes to worst and I need to replace the water heater completely, any suggestions on a brand? I see that Atwood and Suburban seem to be the dominant players. Is one better than the other?

4. My current water heater is a 6 gal LP/110/ manually lit pilot light version. Any reason I shouldn't put in a 10 gal tank? And how bout a direct ignition version which doesn't make me have to go out in the rain to light the pilot? Sounds nice but is it worth the extra effort and money to install?

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

Leaking tanks are pretty common you can't completely drain them and all the gook stays in the bottom why they don’t put the drains on the bottom of the tank is beyond me. There are some gadgets they sell to wash them out but I not sure that does much good. Personally I think going to 10 gallons would be far more trouble then it’s worth and may not fit in the allotted space. Even some larger units only have 6 gallon tanks it’s no big deal you can only carry so much water any way two hot showers and you’re out of water. Both brands are fine it maybe easier to replace it with the same type because every thing will be in the same place.