Smoke came out of my GFI outlet

Ken

I closed the drawer next to the double outlet under the sink and then the outlet started buzzing loudly and smoke came out of only one of the two 3-prong plugs, luckily it has a reset button that shut off. When I push the reset button the microwave shuts off. Is this as easy as putting a new GFI outlet in or do you guys think there is a bigger issue? Thank you for the input.

A new GFI should fix it they do go bad I have replaced a number of smoked ones. Motor homes use a strange method of wiring outlets you may have to get a replacement from an RV outfit I would have a look before I went to the big box store and bought a house hold replacement.

I closed the drawer next to the double outlet under the sink and then the outlet started buzzing loudly and smoke came out of only one of the two 3-prong plugs, luckily it has a reset button that shut off. When I push the reset button the microwave shuts off. Is this as easy as putting a new GFI outlet in or do you guys think there is a bigger issue? Thank you for the input.

I'm not much of an electrician, but I'd have to wonder if there is wiring behind the drawer that got pinched or worn through. Your post makes it seem like there's a "cause and effect" between closing the drawer and triggering the GFCI. GFCIs are supposed to trip if anything goes wrong in the circuit, so I wonder if your wiring is worn through. Pull the drawer out all the way and see if anything is visible, but make sure power is OFF to thee circuit first.

nothing behind the drawer, that was the first thing I checked. I assume years of shutting the drawer and driving vibration may have made the gfi fall apart internally an short out, it is weird that only one prong on the gfi was smoking so maybe it just disinigrated.

They do come apart inside and they do smoke it's not unusual I do a lot of electrical work in a large building and I replace them all the time. When you replace it take it apart you will be susprised at the amount of small metal parts inside.