I just acquired an 83 dolphin with a seized engine. I has a 22r and I plan on swapping the motor with another 22r this weekend/next week. So due to my complete lack of RV knowledge I have some questions for you guys. BTW I know vehicles and how to work on them so I'm not completely clueless.

1. Is there any real trickery that I might encounter with the RV that I would encounter with a regular Toyota during the motor swap?

2. I've read that 6 ply tires are the way to go. Does anyone know of what is a good tire to go with or a good site to get them off of? Also what tires should I stay away from?

3. Also where would I put a generator at and what kind should I go with?

4. What kind of AC unit should I get?

5. Also what are somethings I should really look? The roof doesn't leak and it has a 6 lug axle other than that I don't know of anything.

That's all that I can think of right now but I know I have more questions.

I'll keep you all updated throughout this swap. Can't wait to get this motorcastle on the road!

Hi Oleg--welcome to the site! Many of your questions can be answered by doing a search on this site for the topics you are questioning. As for the tires, try the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) I was able to find Continental Vanco2 tires which fill the bill. As for a generator, we opted for the portable Honda2000 which is carried under the dinette seat inside. The air conditioner is a 7200btu unit and it has kept us comfortable. Be sure to check for wood rot especially in the overhead sleeping compartment. Good luck with you new Toy!

2. I've read that 6 ply tires are the way to go. Does anyone know of what is a good tire to go with or a good site to get them off of?

I've read good things about these on Toyota motorhomes:-

Yokohama Y356

Hankook RA08

You can get more info about them (and others) here:-

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires.html

http://www.busdepot....tails/tires.jsp

Also what tires should I stay away from?

Any that are plain old passenger tires (P Metric).

Hello Oleg,

Regarding the tires, make sure they have a D-Load Rating instead of a C-Load Rating.

Regarding the A/C, a lot of folks end up not using their A/C, or not using the A/C

very much, all depends on location and the availibility of electric hookups. One

alternative to A/C is a motorized vent fan(s), which can be used while driving and

when electric is not available. Something to consider.

The only thing I can think of that you might encounter on your engine swap is

an add-on transmission cooler, you may or may not currently have one.

Dennis...

Well fellas, so far so good. Have both engines out. Turns out, from 82 to 83 a lot of stuff changed so theres a great deal of swapping going on to make things work. What a mess of vacuum hoses Toyota used to have :wacko:Tomorrow I'll post up some pics. Also plugged her up to some electricity and everything seems to work which is a big relief. Still don't know if the plumbing works or refrigeration or propane stuff but soon will find out.

BTW Dennis, she's manual, thank god!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the old girl on the road, ton of white smoke, stopped traffic coming in both directions. It went away though after 30 minuets or so and was actually as hilarious as Sea Foaming a car. All I can figure is, the old motor had blown a head gasket and there was antifreeze in the exhaust or a mouse nest or something. The problem I face now is a rusted gas tank.

Does anyone know what type of gas tank this is and what types will work? Is it something out of a toyota or a custom job? Before I get to the whole cleaning, drying, defumeing, cutting and welding process I'd like to see some prices.

By the way, turns out there is a difference in 4x4 and 2x4 oil pans and sumps. Sway bar prevents it for sitting on the engine mounts by a half inch. Learned that the hard way.

Cheers! -Oleg

The problem I face now is a rusted gas tank.

Does anyone know what type of gas tank this is and what types will work? Is it something out of a toyota or a custom job? Before I get to the whole cleaning, drying, defumeing, cutting and welding process I'd like to see some prices.

It could be Toyota or aftermarket. You may search some old posts concerning fuel tanks and fuel capacity. If memory serves me on some brands you could option for a 26 gallon fuel tank. This was built by Transfer Flow Industries in California. An old post said they still had the engineering drawings but it would take ordering in quantity for them to build them again. My 1983 Sunrader appears to have a factory Toyota tank. It's the smaller tank, something like 17 gallons? You might get on www.1sttoyotaparts.com and use the parts look up feature. They sell wholesale to everyone and it at least gives you an idea of what one would cost. I"m sure shipping would not be cheap. I'd also suggest a Google search on Toyota fuel tanks and checking with your major chain auto parts stores. Toyota trucks have pretty good aftermarket support.

There are companies that cut open, clean and reweld the tanks. http://www.gas-tank.com/ is an example. I know nothing more about them and I'm sure there are a few competitors. You seem to be familiar with this process already. There is also a product call Kreem http://www.kreemproducts.net/c-3-fuel-tank-liner.aspx that coats over the rust. It's a 3 part system with a cleaner, etcher and sealant. We had decent success with it on motorcycle tanks when I used to work at a dealer. Much easier to pull a motorcycle tank and turn it every which way than a car tank though.

Post your results when you find a solution. I'm curious and I'm sure others are too.

• 2 weeks later...

About the gas tank situation... I went to lowes and bought some sheet metal and jig saw blades. Cut out a piece out both the gas tank and the sheet and had my brother, the tig master, to weld in the new piece. Then pressurized the tank with air and soaped it and found a million pin size holes. Repeated the process till no more leaks. It was like swiss cheese.

BTW, Got some Korean Nexus tires 79 bucks a piece and free installation. Thick little tires.

Overall runs good, drives good and gets good gas mileage. Crazy underpowered but can't complain, I love it. Now just need 2 sunroof covers and am ready to roll.