Left the fridge on electric for two weeks

Ken

My 92 Toyota Winnebago was parked in my steep driveway for two weeks with the fridge left on electric. Anyone think I may have ruined the fridge?? I only noticed because I removed the back panel behind the fridge to route coaxial cable and noticed the unit was warm, opened the fridge, turned it off and sopped up some water in the freezer, the whole fridge was warm. It will be a while before I have some place level to park and check the fridge.

My 92 Toyota Winnebago was parked in my steep driveway for two weeks with the fridge left on electric. Anyone think I may have ruined the fridge?? I only noticed because I removed the back panel behind the fridge to route coaxial cable and noticed the unit was warm, opened the fridge, turned it off and sopped up some water in the freezer, the whole fridge was warm. It will be a while before I have some place level to park and check the fridge.

Hi Ken--from what you post, it sounds like your refer has stopped cooling due to being very off-level. The only way to tell if you have done permanent damage is to get the unit leveled (measure level inside the freezer) and turn the unit on again. You may get lucky and it will still work once leveled. It is likely that you have overheated the cooling fluid to the point that it has developed crystals in the cooling unit which may or may not be a problem for a while. Lots of good reading and information at www.rvmobile.com. Hope this helps.

Can you elaborate as to why you think you ruined the fridge? I've read posts saying that the vehicle should be level so exhaust can easily escape, but how steep could your driveway be? Just curious...

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with exhaust gasses. As toyboxll says running off level will cause the chemicals to solidify. There is some urban myth that the crystals will re-absorb back into the solution but it is just urban myth. If its too severe, game over. Its most important to be level front to back more than side to side. Some say the newer refers don't have to be as close to level as the older units but they do need to be close, my opinion a third of the bubble in the level zone so as not to cause damage. And even then you may notice a huge difference in cooling ability. The fridge is leveled using the freezer tray, right in the middle. Level your rig that way first then find somewhere inside your coach where your level also shows level than you never have to open the door to level the rig.

And Ken, good luck. And have you gotten your electric bill yet?

The way our Toy RV "Harvey" as he is named is parked is slanted by about 4 degrees, I am jealous of anyone with flat RV parking. But anyway I pulled Harvey onto the grass yesterday where it is level and kicked on the fridge and it froze water in about 1 hour and works great, lucky me. My wife and I researched these great Toyota RV's for 14 months before we got lucky and bought this 92 Winnie Spirit from the original owner who took super care of it. Now I just need to be sure to take great care of it too. Thanks for all you input.