Hello Cousins: I just acquired a 1983 Mirage with a Nissan Cab/Chassis with a dually rear end. I've done a pretty thorough google search for information about the Nissan RV's and have come up with just about zero. I need information especially about the dually rear....where to get brakes for it....could it be a Toyota dually: Any information appreciated. Tnx from your distant cousin.

Hello Cousins: I just acquired a 1983 Mirage with a Nissan Cab/Chassis with a dually rear end. I've done a pretty thorough google search for information about the Nissan RV's and have come up with just about zero. I need information especially about the dually rear....where to get brakes for it....could it be a Toyota dually: Any information appreciated. Tnx from your distant cousin.

I did a Google search on "1983 Nissan dually" and found a little bit. "Datsun" might be a better search term. It seems Nissan did offer a dually pickup so I strongly suspect you have a Datsun/Nissan axle. I also looked at rear brakes on www.napaonline.com and they show two different dimensions for rear brake shoes. You might pull your wheels and measure what you have and see if you get a match. Other options might be a Nissan dealer if you can find one willing to look up older parts. Also try a local auto parts store that specializes in foreign cars. Foreign Car Parts in Dallas has been able to get me some very odd VW Rabbit diesel parts for a fraction of what VW sells them for. Chain auto parts stores just looked at me funny when I asked for the same parts from them. You may also see if you can find a Nissan/Datsun pickup forum. Your dually may still be an oddity to them but I bet you can at least get some good leads. Also do a Google search for "brake shoe relining" and you will find people who can reline the shoes you have if you can find no other options. A spring shop can make rear leaf springs, metal brake lines can be made. You'll need a tubing bender though. A knowledgeable well stocked NAPA will have various lengths of straight brake lines in both metric and standard that can be bent to match. You might also hunt up Ebay for a copy of the microfiche for the 1983 trucks or a Nissan EPC (electronic parts catalog) and then you can look up your own Datsun/Nissan part numbers. Then call a dealer with the part number and ask if part XXX-XXXX is still available. Where are you located?

Strangely enough most drum brake shoe frames are pretty much the same so with drum size and widths a good parts person should be able to find just what you need. I know Ford truck brakes and I believe the wheel cylinders too will fit the Toyota rears (do not remember what year or module though)

Anyone know if those Nissan/Datsun rear duallies would fit on a toyota pickup? There's a beat up '84 Nissan Sunrader down the road from me with full floating duallies, been thinking about buying it for parts or project.

I'd be less concerned about finding brake shoes (since they can be relined) as I would be about the drums, which might well be specific to the '1-ton' 6 bolt axle. You mght as well ask about drum availability while you're at it and perhaps stockpile a pair.

Edited by Derek up North

Was just digging on www.rockauto.com and found a picture of what may be your rear brake drum:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=490569

This is a Beck Arnley drum part # 0832172. Rock Auto allows you to add it to the cart but there is no price listed so I'm not sure if it is available.

A Google Search of "Beck Arnley 0832172" returned the following link where you can purchase the drums:

http://autoparts.nissanreports.com/auto-part/173937-nissan-beck-arnley-083-2172-brake-drum

Note that this is for production from 11/82 so check the Certification label that should be visible on the door jamb when you open the door for the Datsun production date. The Mirage part my have a later production date but that won't apply to chassis parts.

Play with Rock Auto more. I just found a cheaper version of the drum. Beck Arnley is a quality well known brand so you probably get what you pay for. I suspect you can find the rest of the parts like this. If you need more help, just ask.

Just found Beck Arnley shoes on Rock Auto....they are on closeout for $7.69 so if you can confirm they are correct you might want to order soon! BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0812446