87 Odyssey water damage. Worth fixing?

tawd77

I just bought a 87 toyota Odyssey. It has 39k miles, auto tranny with overdrive, and 22re 4cyl engine. Runs excellent. BUT most of the drivers side wall needs replaced/repaired. Also, the roof is sagging, and has a couple leaks. Is this worth fixing? It looks like its going to be a pretty major job to fix correctly. Everything works, roof ac, cab ac, water pump, toliet, shower, sink, heater, stove, etc... Only thing not working is the hot water heater. It has a leak in the tank.

Anyone have ANY guess to the value of this thing the way it sits? I may just sell it and let it be someone elses project. I have alot of projects going on, and im not sure if I want to tackle this one too. Thank you all for your help!

22 views, and nobody has anything to say? Come on people, are your keyboards broke? :P

Okay. I'll give it a go. I think you'll probably be better off letting this one slide. Just my opinion. You can check on the value by going to the Toyota Motorhome Yahoo message board and looking up the article on values. They take into affect all the factors-a/c, mileage, year, engine, body builder etc. Get a quote figgered out from this, drop about half the value for all the repairs it'll need and go from there. :clown2:

OK here is my $0.05 worth. Considering your explanation of what needs to be repaired I would say get what you can and move on. The type of repairs you are talking about take along time. My guess is that you will have to strip out almost all the inside in order to dismantle the walls and repair it correctly. Usually the trouble goes deeper than you can see. Is there damage to the floor assembly? There is no quick explanation on exactly what to do. You just have to dive in and start. One section at a time. One thing I will say is never use particle board, use marine plywood if you can afford it. If you can take off the outer shell take it off first before you start gutting the inside. You might be able to do a portion of the work from the outside. It will also give you a good idea of how its all put together and any improvements you can make. Remember weight is a big concern and to much modification to make something stronger can be to much. Guess it all comes down to if you really want to tackle the job and is it worth it. For the amount of time and money you might spend a newer model with a V6 might be cheaper in the long run. You can always say your time is free but is it really.

I spent $1k for this thing. It sure would be a nice camper if it didnt leak, and wasnt half rotted. The floors seem solid. The roof is pretty saggy, and the drivers side wall is about as strong as notebook paper in on spot. I will do some thinking on it to figure out if I should fix, or sell. Is there any market for a "fixer upper" camper?

PS, do you know the URL to the yahoo priceguide you were talking about? Thanks

Edited by tawd77

I spent $1k for this thing. It sure would be a nice camper if it didnt leak, and wasnt half rotted. The floors seem solid. The roof is pretty saggy, and the drivers side wall is about as strong as notebook paper in on spot. I will do some thinking on it to figure out if I should fix, or sell. Is there any market for a "fixer upper" camper?

PS, do you know the URL to the yahoo priceguide you were talking about? Thanks

I'll try posting a link :

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EI3hRM9KpxRqx...NG%20GUIDELINES

Give that a go