I have been been renovating a 1987 Dolphin that has been in storage for the last three years,it has the 22E fuel injected engine with 139,000 miles on it.The mileage doesn't bother me because it will be used mostly within a 50 mile radius.I have compiled a check list of things that should be done before I tag it and I have hit a brick wall when it comes to the fuel filter!!Some say it's mounted on the firewall!NO Others say it's on the inner frame!NO and I've come to the conclusion that it must be inside the tank but I'am not sure,can anyone help??

Cliff

I have been been renovating a 1987 Dolphin that has been in storage for the last three years,it has the 22E fuel injected engine with 139,000 miles on it.The mileage doesn't bother me because it will be used mostly within a 50 mile radius.I have compiled a check list of things that should be done before I tag it and I have hit a brick wall when it comes to the fuel filter!!Some say it's mounted on the firewall!NO Others say it's on the inner frame!NO and I've come to the conclusion that it must be inside the tank but I'am not sure,can anyone help??

Cliff

The fuel filter on the 22re is located right above the starter, mounted to the side of the engine block.

• 2 months later...

Hallalueah!!

Thanks to someone I found it!

Thanks

I have owned a few Toyotas in the past, years 1984 to 1990 and depending on

the model, I have found the fuel filter on the inside of the frame directly below

the passenger's seat and also near the driver's side rear wheel.

Be sure to use a torque wrench with the metal fuel filters, too tight or too

loose will cause leaks. I think the correct torque is 14 pounds, but it should

be marked on the filter or its instructions. Also, you will need what is called

a crow or claw foot socket, which is an openned ended wrench that can be

attached to a socket torque wrench.

Dennis...

• 5 years later...

Cliff ;

Look at this post, I just wrote this up. scroll down to post #10

The original question was for a V6, but there were several people chimed in about the 22RE (4 cyl) so I responded to that.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=1674

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto