• 2 years later...

... maybe a varying gear ratio between automatics and manuals

Can't agree with that. I've 2 parked here now. '91 Seabreeze with a 4.10:1 (G294) and a '93 Warrior with a 4.30:1 (G284). Both automatics. I think it must have been a question of which box the purchasing manager ticked when ordering. Most of the G284s I've seen have been under Warriors. I came across another brand (don't remember what) for sale recently that also had a G284.

There also appears to be some difference between axles over the years. I believe '86 had a difference in the wheel studs (no biggie) that only work with 6 hand hole wheels. If you look up dually axles on www.car-part.com for '87, posted results are '86, '87 & '88. Look for a '93, and all results are for '89 - '93.

Edit: I think the difference is that the earlier 22-RE axles are 2 pinion, the later 3VZ-E axles are 4 pinion (stronger). Maybe other differences.

Can't agree with that. I've 2 parked here now. '91 Seabreeze with a 4.10:1 (G294) and a '93 Warrior with a 4.30:1 (G284). Both automatics. I think it must have been a question of which box the purchasing manager ticked when ordering. Most of the G284s I've seen have been under Warriors. I came across another brand (don't remember what) for sale recently that also had a G284.

There also appears to be some difference between axles over the years. I believe '86 had a difference in the wheel studs (no biggie) that only work with 6 hand hole wheels. If you look up dually axles on www.car-part.com for '87, posted results are '86, '87 & '88. Look for a '93, and all results are for '89 - '93.

Edit: I think the difference is that the earlier 22-RE axles are 2 pinion, the later 3VZ-E axles are 4 pinion (stronger). Maybe other differences.

see, that's why I said maybe!!

and yes some of the diff carriers varied, the V6 diff housing has 8 "ribs" (the outside of the third member itself) while the 4 cyl has 6- and yes the 4cyl is a 2 pinion and the 6 is a 4 pinion design. I think I may have found a 6 cylinder with 2 pinions though- wil get back later this week on that.