engine noise

beehaven

An annoying high pitched whistle comes from my engine compartment. I have sprayed WD-40 on the idler pulley and even changed out the alternator. It went quiet for a while but came back to haunt me. I sprayed ether around the intake manifold with no change in engine speed. This rig is a source of mysteries for me. Any ideas, guys?

You haven't stated weather the noise occurs standing with engine idling/racing or travelling at highway speeds. My 1988 Toyota Horizon had a whistle at highway speeds which turned out to be the overhead window weather stripping had shrunk, leaving a 1/4 inch gap at the top which acted as a very nice whistle/speed sensor.

You haven't stated weather the noise occurs standing with engine idling/racing or travelling at highway speeds. My 1988 Toyota Horizon had a whistle at highway speeds which turned out to be the overhead window weather stripping had shrunk, leaving a 1/4 inch gap at the top which acted as a very nice whistle/speed sensor.

Hi Bob. The noise occurs when its warm and idling. It goes away when I rev her up and drive away. Its the traffic lights and stop signs that she starts her whistling.

Try stepping on your brake on and off when you are stopped and see if it goes away or changes you may have a brake booster vacuum leak they will squeal like a pig.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Beehaven,

We have a 85 Sunrader with a 22RE. When we first got it, it whistled like crazy and sounded very bad when the engine was cold. After the engine warmed up, it would go away. One day I lifted up on the engine oil dipstick and it went away. Apparently, vacuum in the engine was somehow causing this noise. I rerouted the vacuum line from the valve cover (not the one with the PVC valve) and added a T fitting to the vacuum hose in front of the throttle body to bleed off any vacuum in the engine, and the whistling went away. It has been fine ever since.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Regards,

AllenL