Just made a screen door for my Sunrader

Taking a trip :D to the Sierras next week end, staying at a spot where we once arrived at midnight and were eatin alive by :angry02::ranting2: MOSKEEEETOS :mad2::thumbdown: . So as anyone knows who owns a Sunrader there is no screen door or even one available. It was time to make one. Using regular window screen it is split down the center and held together with magnets. I rigged it so that it is held on the inside of the door frame with velcro. The very bottom has fishing weights (bb's) sewed in to keep it down. The Velcro on the inside door frame is put where ever there is a screw, keeping it from pulling off. Over the top of the door frame the Velcro is stapled in place. The Velcro I put on the screening will be sewed in place but for now I used a paper stapler and attatched them. I made the mistake of buying the velcro with the glue backing and was unable to sew it on as everytime I tried the glue would gum up the needle and break the thread. I am going to the fabric store tonight and getting the sew on Velcro to finish the job.

It works really well except that it would be better to mount it as high as possible over the door, That would give it more opening width at the top. I mounted it about 6 inches above the door and it will not open as wide at the top as it does at the bottom. But higher mounting position would help that. Only took about four hours so far. Not sure if I will extend this one or make a new one. I will test this one first against the little biters first.

I will be posting some pictures and more details but not sure when. :hyper:

Greg

Wow Greg, I'm impressed at your engenuity! I too need a screen door for our '90 Dolphin, when we got it it didn't have one, yet I can see that it clearly once did have the same type seen on all new RVs. You don't happen to know if those are available for late model Dolphins do you?

I have no idea. You may have to have one built. I know that there are companys that will fabricate a screen door for most RV'S. But its not cheap. Look on the Yahoo-campers group and do a search for rv wrecking yards. Seems to me there was talk about one in Arizona that might be the place to look. As for sunrader, they have a custom door and frame that does not allow a standard RV screen door. So I came up with my own. Still in the protype phaze, some minor changes. I will probably build a new one and insread of using window sgreen I am going to try and locate some mosquito netting. It will be lighter weight and easier to walk thru. Any how this could be a solution for you too. When I get it complete I will post some photo's next week of what it looks like and how it mounts.

Greg

I took a good look at my door and frame yesterday and realized that the hinges for a screen door are still intact and had been taped down with double-sided tape to the door frame and then taped over with black electriacl tape. I think I may actually be able to just go to Home Depot and buy the materials to build myself an inexpensive screen door. I'm pretty sure that they sell cut to fit screen frames and the type of latches I'd need. I'm just not sure about the little sliding section that covers the RV door handle, but I'm sure I can come up with something.

Thanks Greg, but no luck. Home Depot has the stuff to make a screen but no parts to make the sliding door to access the door handle and locks. I did talk to a guy at a local RV place who said he had 3 or 4 used screen doors, he told me to measure mine and one of his used ones might be close enough to fit, or need only a slight modification. Any ideas on how I could jury-rig a screen to use as a screen door, I can easily make a frame and screen from Home Depot parts, it's the door handles that'd be a problem... :(

Hi Mr.D, You might give this outfit a look, they can build a replacement sreen door for you beings you already have the existing hinges. I have dealt with them before several years back when I was working on my 78 Odessey and they were very good at the time. www.all-rite.com/

:D My screen door was a success! It was a little stiff and needs to be longer and mounted higher. It need to be made out of netting instead of screen but otherwise it worked well. Only time some biters got in is when I left the cab doors open. The dog goes in and out like its not even there. As soon as I can locate some bug netting at a good price I will make another, this time setting up a template so that it is made to exact size. Originally I made one panel cut down the middle and sewn at the top to overlap. The next one will be two seperate panels sewn together at the top.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a used screen door in excellent condition including all needed parts for only $5 yesterday. It's too big for our Dolphin but I've already disassembled it all and just need to cut it down so that it's about 4" shorter and narrower. All the hinge hardware was still on my coach so it'll be very easy to attach the door once I have it reassembled :ThumbUp:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my screen door and got it installed yesterday! It looks like it was always there, it did take quite a bit more work then I'd planned to get it right. Having it will be a big improvement for our coming trip...

• 3 years later...

I have some pics somewhere but can not find them. I did finally find some mosquito netting but have not gotten around to sewing it up. I actually got it from Longs Drugs in the camping section. It is a bright white, not green like I wanted. I will try to get some images of the current model and get them posted soon!!

Greg