What's your fuel mileage?

Greybeard LTD

I just bought a 1990 3.0 V6 Odyessy 21 1/2 foot (or 22', depends who you talk to) and drove it from Tucson to Pittsburgh. I only got about 10 miles to the gallon, cruising at 65 mph. I did most of my driving with the O/D turned off because the RV wouldn't maintain 65 with it on, even on the few flat stretches. (Too much wind in west Texas) Several mountains I cleared at only 50 mph. Is this normal? The RV has only 45,000 miles and seems to run well at low speeds.

Any thing over about 55 starts to cost you in fuel the wind resistance really takes it's toll and driving into the wind makes it worse. 50 over the hills sounds like you had your foot to it. With the O/D off it's going to rev a good bit higher too. Some of the guys with the V6 can do close to 15 mpg. It takes a light foot to get decent fuel mileage with the MH, a 21' is going to weight a good bit over 6,000#.

Something isn't right - it's using too much fuel and is lacking power. I'd do a thorough tune-up including a valve adjustment.

I just bought a 1990 3.0 V6 Odyessy 21 1/2 foot (or 22', depends who you talk to) and drove it from Tucson to Pittsburgh. I only got about 10 miles to the gallon, cruising at 65 mph. I did most of my driving with the O/D turned off because the RV wouldn't maintain 65 with it on, even on the few flat stretches. (Too much wind in west Texas) Several mountains I cleared at only 50 mph. Is this normal? The RV has only 45,000 miles and seems to run well at low speeds.

Something isn't right - it's using too much fuel and is lacking power. I'd do a thorough tune-up including a valve adjustment.

I agree something isn't right. One of the major reasons I bought the RV is it only has 45,000 miles on it, so I hope it's not a major problem. I do hear quite a few people "badmouthing" the 3VZE on the internet, and a lot of it is about the complicated valve adjustment procedure. I see it uses the very dated, poor performing, Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection system, late 1960's technology on a early 1990's engine. (The very system I removed from my 1981 Triumph TR8.) It seems as though the automatic transmission and the cruise control are in a constant state of conflict too.