Motorhome Newbie

Bikercowboy

Hello there I am in the process of purchasing a 1978 Toyota Dolphin with 62k miles on the odometer. I believe that it is a 16ft (possibly18ft). This will be my first RV of any kind. I have read some about the rear axle troubles on the older ones. The current owners had the rear axle bearings replaced last season. The tires are in good shape i have not looked at the spare yet though. The drive train does not appear to have any major leaks. It has been covered every winter. It looks great inside and out any advice would be appreciated. Such as things to check out closley before completing the purchase. I am friends with the seller and he is a meticulious person who I trust, however I just dont know much about the water/ electrical systems of rv's.

Thanks in advance, Clayton

I would just make sure that everything works. Test it yourself because I have been told "oh yeah, it works" and later found out it doesn't. Also, be sure to check everything, down to the windshield wipers, turn signals, brake lights, etc, etc. Its much better to find problems before you buy rather than after. If you find them before, you can have them fixed or take a deduct on the price. If you find the after, thats too bad.

I would just make sure that everything works. Test it yourself because I have been told "oh yeah, it works" and later found out it doesn't. Also, be sure to check everything, down to the windshield wipers, turn signals, brake lights, etc, etc. Its much better to find problems before you buy rather than after. If you find them before, you can have them fixed or take a deduct on the price. If you find the after, thats too bad.

thanks I will do that I appreciate the help!

Hello there I am in the process of purchasing a 1978 Toyota Dolphin with 62k miles on the odometer. I believe that it is a 16ft (possibly18ft). This will be my first RV of any kind. I have read some about the rear axle troubles on the older ones. The current owners had the rear axle bearings replaced last season. The tires are in good shape i have not looked at the spare yet though. The drive train does not appear to have any major leaks. It has been covered every winter. It looks great inside and out any advice would be appreciated. Such as things to check out closley before completing the purchase. I am friends with the seller and he is a meticulious person who I trust, however I just dont know much about the water/ electrical systems of rv's.

Thanks in advance, Clayton

I don't think that it is the bearings that fail but the axle itself. When it fails the wheels on that side come off. Something to consider for safety sake.