Generator just clicks

Yobie

Hey guys,

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm new to all of this. The generator on board my 86 dolphin (3.0 genset) just clicks when press the start button. To me it seems like it could be a power related thing as the generator does not crank or anything. I have a new, charged house battery in the thing and still nothing. I feel like i'm missing something easy. Heck I might even have the battery hooked up wrong wiht all those wires in there who knows. Theres 3 white, 3 red and two black. I have whites on negative and everything else on positive? I also checked/cleaned the ground wire so thats not it.

Any info would be great

Thanks,

Matt

You never said when the generator was last running. I'm no expert, but from what you said it could be one of several thing. Bad starter, bad solenoid, poor connection somewhere. If you're hearing a clicking sound than you're either not getting a full 12 volts to engage the starter, or something is wrong with the starter. I once had a problem where the starter wasn't properly mounted and the teeth got wedged up against each other keeping the starter from spinning. Worth a check if it's easy to see on your model. Keep us posted.

Also, a multimeter would help troubleshoot the problem if it's a lack of voltage issue.

Hey guys,

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm new to all of this. The generator on board my 86 dolphin (3.0 genset) just clicks when press the start button. To me it seems like it could be a power related thing as the generator does not crank or anything. I have a new, charged house battery in the thing and still nothing. I feel like i'm missing something easy. Heck I might even have the battery hooked up wrong wiht all those wires in there who knows. Theres 3 white, 3 red and two black. I have whites on negative and everything else on positive? I also checked/cleaned the ground wire so thats not it.

Any info would be great

Thanks,

Matt

I have already cleaned the ground. And ya the wiring sounds iffy to me, but was told by the owner thats how it was supposed to be. The thing is I just bought this thing and really am lost at how things work.

there are three white wires, two black, and three red. To me it should be red positive black negative and white dont know

Can someone tell he how there generator is hooked up. From following the wires off the generator there is only a red one that reaches the battery. The black goes up to the start switch located in the MH. Shouldn't there be a red and black that go all the way to the battery?

Nothing needs to go back to the battery. It should be grounded to the frame.

Can someone tell he how there generator is hooked up. From following the wires off the generator there is only a red one that reaches the battery. The black goes up to the start switch located in the MH. Shouldn't there be a red and black that go all the way to the battery?

Nothing needs to go back to the battery. It should be grounded to the frame.

not sure what you mean. There is a ground wire that is attached to the frame as well as a red wire that goes to the battery. The only other wire is black and it goes to the start switch in the motorhome. Am i missing a wire or something here?

I know someone else has this generator in their MH, please help with hook up :)