Speedometer error

mmj

Anyone else have problems with their speedometer? We have a 89 Winnie Micro Warrior and when the speedo shows 55, we're actually going 50 and 60 at 55, etc. So it's 5 mph faster than the actual speed. I verified this using my gps and police radar speed warning signs. I now think that I should have gotten the 195R14 tires instead of the stock 185R14 as the 195R14 has a slightly larger circumference that could have compensated for the speedo error. Any thoughts out there?

Michael

Hi Michael,

It will help a little, about 1.6 mph at 60 mph. That was one of the reasons I installed the 194R14 RA08 Hankooks on our 1985 Sunrader, the other was ride. The 185R14 has a diameter of 25.6", and the 195R14 a diameter of 26.3" (http://toyotamotorho...wimage&img=1512).

Regards,

AllenL

Note: Some people on this forum mentioned that the 194R14s rub/touch each other on the duals; however, we do not have that problem on our Sunrader.

• 11 months later...

My speedo is WAY off. I'm sure that it is a combination of things but when I am doing 55 the speedo says 75. I am guessing that my odometer is off also. I have 147,000 indicated. I'm going to have to use the GPS to get a good MPG reading.

I replaced the tires before I drove it so i don't know how far it was off before. The previous owner told me the axle was replaced by Toyota. I installed Hankook 195R14C (RA08) on the rear and Big O RT 27x8.50R14LT's on the front. Any ideas how I could fix the speedometer problem? For now I just trust the GPS.

Is your speedometer cable driven? If so, there may be different plastic gears that drive the cable. They come with different numbers of teeth to compensate for different gearing/tire sizes. You can also see if there is a speedometer shop in your area. Sometimes they can make other adjustments.