Radio, TV, DVD Player Upgrade/Install

knewell

I was considering upgrading my audio visual system (actually that means get one). I was thinking about replacing the radio with a DVD receiver, then adding a flat panel somewhere in the back, and also have a backup camera attached. My idea was to run everything off the RV Battery and not the truck’s battery. Anybody out there have any experience with any of this? Would love to hear some suggestions from people you have already doe this. BTW my Toy is a 1990 Dolphin V-6

Hi Knewell,

This is just my opinion; however, I think you might be better off adding a separate head unit in the back with your flat panel display, else you might end up doing a lot of walking back and forth. This also keeps the power and wiring simpler, else you would have to run a house battery power wire to the front along with a video cable for your flat panel display.

I added both a HDTV and a Jensen wall mount AM/FM/DVD/USB/iPOD Stereo to our 1985 Sunrader in the back. I brought the Jensen unit from Camping World

http://www.campingwo...nt-stereo/44080. The TV is powered off of an inverter connected to the house battery. The Jensen unit is powered off of the house battery. You can see a picture at the following link: http://toyotamotorho...wimage&img=1522. I also updated the head unit (e.g. radio in dash) with an AM/FM/CD from a 2001 Toyota Camry. Note: I am time sharing the factory rear stereo speakers between both the Jensen unit and the Camry dash radio. I am using two relays (one per speaker) that switches the source when the Jensen unit is turned on.

Regarding a backup camera, I am using an Audiovox rear view mirror with a 4" LCD and a camera. The model number is RVMPKG4 and I brought it on eBay from hifiaudioonline. This unit mounts to the rear view mirror. For power, it is connected to the power lines from the Camry radio (e.g. truck power).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

AllenL