Hello all. New to forums and need help. Due to heavy work load, my 91 Dolphin V6 has been sitting for almost 8 monthes, without moving. I was dying to go on a trip. Started it up and realized I had a problem. I put the tranny into drive and it seemed sluggish, I pulled it into 1st, it took off. When in drive from start it is apparently in third. I can shift manualy and everything is fine. Transmission was fine when parked. Also, the OD dash light blinks lightly. Any ideas ?

Hello all. New to forums and need help. Due to heavy work load, my 91 Dolphin V6 has been sitting for almost 8 monthes, without moving. I was dying to go on a trip. Started it up and realized I had a problem. I put the tranny into drive and it seemed sluggish, I pulled it into 1st, it took off. When in drive from start it is apparently in third. I can shift manualy and everything is fine. Transmission was fine when parked. Also, the OD dash light blinks lightly. Any ideas ?

It sounds like an ETC (electronic transmission control) problem they either work or they don't nothing half way. Check your fuses take a look at your Toyota manual if you have it and see if you can find an ETC fuse. If the fuses looks good pull it out for a few seconds and put it back in and see what happens. If that does not do any thing disconnect your battery and try it again. Beyond that you'll need some one to check it out for you.

It sounds like an ETC (electronic transmission control) problem they either work or they don't nothing half way. Check your fuses take a look at your Toyota manual if you have it and see if you can find an ETC fuse. If the fuses looks good pull it out for a few seconds and put it back in and see what happens. If that does not do any thing disconnect your battery and try it again. Beyond that you'll need some one to check it out for you.

I will check fuses tomorrow. I was also told it could be the shift solenoids. Any Thoughts? Thanx.

Probably not they do fail but they are pretty tough and it seems to be across the board so all of them failing at the same time is pretty slim. The ETC controls the solenoids and the lockup.

This is from factory manual trans Diagnostic codes there are five 42,61,62,63,64 all to do with Solenoids or 2 speed sensors, directions are(1)turn on ign,do not start eng turn on O/D (2) connect terminals TE1&E1 of the check connector located next to under hood fuse block (right side) from drivers seat. To read count flashes O/D light if normal will flash 2 times per sec. TomW

This is from a different page I think this is without the jumper.

(1) Turn ign ON.

(2)The O/D off light will come on when the O/D is in off position.

(3) When the O/D switch is set to ON The "O/D" light should shut off.

If the "O/D light flashes when the O/D switch is set to ON, the electronic control system is faulty.I assume we're talking about the same veh Mine's a 91 one ton V6 the book is referring to AT (A340E)

Well we are back in business. A mouse decided to take up residence on top of my transmission. I was tracing the wires form the solenoids over the transmission, and felt a section missing! I pulled on the harness, and came back with a gnawed off end! Son of a XXXX! Well some butt splices and a few feet of wire, and we were shifting out fine. Went ahead and changed solenoids since I had purchased them. After new filter and fluid it seems to shift stronger than before. So thanx everybody. Hope I can help someone later with what i have picked up during the ordeal.

Well we are back in business. A mouse decided to take up residence on top of my transmission. I was tracing the wires form the solenoids over the transmission, and felt a section missing! I pulled on the harness, and came back with a gnawed off end! Son of a XXXX! Well some butt splices and a few feet of wire, and we were shifting out fine. Went ahead and changed solenoids since I had purchased them. After new filter and fluid it seems to shift stronger than before. So thanx everybody. Hope I can help someone later with what i have picked up during the ordeal.

Good find, be sure you do the best you can water proofing your connections.