oh, the pain.....water damage

I was warned to watch out for leaks on my dolphin (actually on this site). I didn't know I had a leak, and it seeped in all winter and rotted the entire front bunk, walls and support structure.....commonly refered to as "sticks" as in "stick and staple" construction. That's the bad news, the good news is now I know the front section of the camper is SOLID.......I've got around 120 hours labour, $700 in supplies, and I know the construction is sound and rock solid. Just wanted to mention this so others might want to get up and check their roof carefully for leaks, if you think the caulking on your roof is getting old........FIX IT NOW!!!! It only gets worse later.

Ok, a little more info.....it seems all the panelling is masonite which absorbs water like a sponge, the structural sticks are mostly 1/2"x1/2" stapled togeather, and very little fiberglass insulation. I tried to use actual plywood type panelling, larger sticks, and styrofome SM insulation (the dense blue or pink stuff). I screwed everything togeather instead of staples with many tubes of construction adhesive (around 15 tubes). As well as all that, I sealed every crack and seam on the exterior with silicone.....I know water isn't likely to get in through the seams in the aluminum siding, but I sealed all of them as well to keep dreaded water out as well as insects, and I hope to give the exterior shell a bit more rigidity. I believe I used around 20 tubes of silicone. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, but sometime in the hopefully distant future I'd like to do the same upgrade to the rear half of the camper, and I'm rolling around the best way to redo the roof without dropping the interior celing.

• 3 weeks later...

HELP!!!

We have a 1991 Toyota Winabago Micro-Mini that we purchased earlier this year. It looked fine upon initial inspection, so we bought on the east coast and headed back home to Colorado. We were in several might severe rain storms and discovered the front overhead bed had water damage .... and it seems to have been occuring for years. So I've removed all framework, the one piece laminated framework, foam, and wood frame all deteriated and so I removed it all ....everything down to the fiberglass skin over the cab.

So now I need to rebuilt it all, and am looking for ideas, on how to do that. I would like to have it relaminated in order to have it the lightest weight factor. But am looking for any ideas anyone can give me to solve the problem of rebuilding this front overhang bunk. HELP HELP

Where could I get it laminated??? I can build it ... but need it laminated?

SMITTY

303-570-4649

HELP!!!

We have a 1991 Toyota Winabago Micro-Mini that we purchased earlier this year. It looked fine upon initial inspection, so we bought on the east coast and headed back home to Colorado. We were in several might severe rain storms and discovered the front overhead bed had water damage .... and it seems to have been occuring for years. So I've removed all framework, the one piece laminated framework, foam, and wood frame all deteriated and so I removed it all ....everything down to the fiberglass skin over the cab.

So now I need to rebuilt it all, and am looking for ideas, on how to do that. I would like to have it relaminated in order to have it the lightest weight factor. But am looking for any ideas anyone can give me to solve the problem of rebuilding this front overhang bunk. HELP HELP

Where could I get it laminated??? I can build it ... but need it laminated?

SMITTY

303-570-4649

Hiya Smitty;

I'm not sure what you mean about "laminated framework", clearly your camper is of a different construction than my Dolphin, but I have to say that the caulking tubes of construction adhesive that I used fixing mine worked well, they will permanently glue pretty much anything to anything according to the label. As I got further along in my project the camper got more and more rigid, I glued and screwed every layer in so it worked out well for me. I hope this helps.

Rusty