I'm planning to buy a 1977 Holiday Rambler 18ft. that has duals and the original 5-lug axle. I know I should upgrade it, but how would I do that? I've heard of using a GM 1-ton axle, but I cannot seem to find that info now. Was that something I imagined? Is there any other option for me to upgrde this axle? I know a fellow in Indiana had some a few years ago, but his email is no longer working and I bet he doesn't have any more left.

Does anyone have a floating axle that I could buy?

They are out there, you just need to do some calling around to salvage yards in your area. Most salvage yards are hooked up to a parts search network and if you call one they can search the surrounding area for what you are looking for and have it delivered.

When you get the axle get the springs and 4 rims along with it.

You will also have to modify the shock mounts as later model shocks mount to the frames not the cross member as the early ones do (this means new rear shocks also)

Where are you located (what state)?

They are out there, you just need to do some calling around to salvage yards in your area. Most salvage yards are hooked up to a parts search network and if you call one they can search the surrounding area for what you are looking for and have it delivered.

When you get the axle get the springs and 4 rims along with it.

You will also have to modify the shock mounts as later model shocks mount to the frames not the cross member as the early ones do (this means new rear shocks also)

Where are you located (what state)?

Located in Kansas for now.

I did some checking on a salvage axle this morning. Called every salvage in the area, most of them said they wouldn't have a 1-ton toyota axle almost before I could finish asking for it. Of the few that actually looked to see, they also could not locate one. I did find a couple of craigslist, but nothing near me.

I'm now looking into the possibility of fabbing mounts to put a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton axle under the back. I don't know if this is possible for me or not, but I've been told a simple tapered Ford 9" truck axle can hold around 7000lbs, which I think is far in excess of what this little Holiday Rambler will weigh. 9" axles are everywhere, and they are cheap. I can get tons of aftermarket stuff for them, and a lot of shops can readilly do custom fab work with 9" rears, so I'm leaning in that direction for the moment. I think it will cost around the same as buying a 'Yota 1-ton axle and having a shop install it. That is, unless someone knows of a true 1-ton axle for less than $800. Another option I am looking at is an actual 1-ton Ford dually axle from a dentside ('73-'79) Ford. I have a '74 1-ton but I cannot take the axle from it as I need to sell it. It's a true full-floating 1-ton axle that would easily handle the load, but it's also rather large and bulky, so it might be hard to fit it in. That's the bright side to a 9", as they are typically a very compact axle.

I like using the Ford axle for the fact that I can easily mount other wheels. If there isn't a clearance issue, I can install 15" or 16" rims and have a better selection of mud/snow tires to put on it. Only problem is I'd like to figure out how to upgrade the frontend to accept the bigger wheels, too.

For now, my main concern is the rear axle. I searched the recals on it found that Holiday Rambler never had a recall issued for axles. It does have the "factory" duals on the back, but it is only 18ft and does not have a black water holding tank. I'm hopeing that as long as I don't fill the fresh and grey water tanks, and I keep my own personal load down to a minimum, the axle will survive long enough for me to get something worked out. I want to get the axle fixed before my brother and I head out on the road, but I may not.

Also, would anyone be able to tell me what would a safe load rating be for the rear of this? All I'm going from now is a post on this forum about a '90 Dolphin having a rear GVW of 4400lbs. I suspect that would be a larger model than what I'm getting, and if it's true that a Ford 9" can handle 6000-7000lbs, then it should easily take the strain.

There was a free one on craigslist but it was out in Seattle (a ways for you to go even for free... unless you know someone out there)

http://seattle.craig...1330723059.html

There is one in Graham Texas 1-800-766-2009

One in Little Rock Ak 888-945-9685

ooh, thanks for the heads-up on the Seattle axle. I had a shipper lined up to get it for $200, and was about to close the deal on it. The guy told me specifically on the phone that it was a 6 lug floating type axle. I guess that's why it's always best to get photos before buying anything, even if it's free.

the one is seattle is 1/2 ton (5 lug). I took a look at it.

If anyone knows of any around in the northwest or CA that would be stellar.

Binford Auto Wrecking Kent Washington 1-253-854-8000 ($400)

Ally Cat's Auto Wrecking Visalia California 1-559-636-1244 ($350)

High Desert Auto Salvage Hasperia California 760-981-1234

Pearson's Auto Wrecking Ridgecrest California 1-800-446-5865

Steelhead Recyclers Goleta California 1-805-683-8557

Midnight Auto Recyclers San Bernardino California 1-800-872-5211

Atlas Auto Salvage Hasperia California 1-760-244-9358

thanks so much !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just currious, but how the heck do you find these things like this, and the ones you listed earlier in this thread? I have called every salvage in this area and a lot of them actually tried to claim Toyota never made a floating type axle, and searching on the internet generally comes up with bubbkis, so just how are you able to locate these so readily?

Just currious, but how the heck do you find these things like this, and the ones you listed earlier in this thread? I have called every salvage in this area and a lot of them actually tried to claim Toyota never made a floating type axle, and searching on the internet generally comes up with bubbkis, so just how are you able to locate these so readily?

Voodoo black magic.....

and a little help from this....

http://car-part.com/

detective2.gif

One thing you may want to do is have your toyota weighed to see exactly

what kind of weight you are dealing with. Be sure the scale that you

go to will give you the results by axle, by wheel, and total weight.

Dennis...