Need shocks

sparky60

Hi all, I,ve been looking all over for info on new ft. and rear shocks for my 1983 Toy Dolphin. Alot of mfg. have them for 1984 and newer but I can't seem to find ones for 1983. Has any one replaced shocks for there 1983 Dolphin ? What part number and shock did u use ? Also I have the 6 lug 1 ton axle so when a parts guy asks "do you have a 1 ton chassis" do I say yes or do I say I have a 1 ton axle but a 1/2 ton pick up chassis ( which I think is what the think this puppy is ) ? I a bit confused here. I do know a little about mech. things but I'm lost when it comes the the suspension.......thks for any help....

Hi all, I,ve been looking all over for info on new ft. and rear shocks for my 1983 Toy Dolphin. Alot of mfg. have them for 1984 and newer but I can't seem to find ones for 1983. Has any one replaced shocks for there 1983 Dolphin ? What part number and shock did u use ? Also I have the 6 lug 1 ton axle so when a parts guy asks "do you have a 1 ton chassis" do I say yes or do I say I have a 1 ton axle but a 1/2 ton pick up chassis ( which I think is what the think this puppy is ) ? I a bit confused here. I do know a little about mech. things but I'm lost when it comes the the suspension.......thks for any help....

Many shock manufactures no longer make shocks for the early Toyota trucks so your choices will be very limited for front shocks.

Since your rear axle has been replaced with a later model you would need to look under to see if they changed the mounting brackets to a later style or if they still use the early style.

The difference is easy to spot.

The early trucks (made before 1984) had the shocks that went from the spring holders directly up to a round cross bar.

The later trucks have one shock going forward of the axle and one shock going after the axle.

Here is a pic of my 1981 (early style) that I converted to a later style.

http://www.toymike.c...dieselUnder.jpg

If you look closely as the round cross bar (just below the tire mounting bar) you will see the old shock attachments.

If you truck has been changed to the later style mount you would use 1984 - 1988 1 ton truck.

You can always update the shock mounts by purchasing 2 upper shock mounts and having them welded onto the frame.

Many shock manufactures no longer make shocks for the early Toyota trucks so your choices will be very limited for front shocks.

Since your rear axle has been replaced with a later model you would need to look under to see if they changed the mounting brackets to a later style or if they still use the early style.

The difference is easy to spot.

The early trucks (made before 1984) had the shocks that went from the spring holders directly up to a round cross bar.

The later trucks have one shock going forward of the axle and one shock going after the axle.

Here is a pic of my 1981 (early style) that I converted to a later style.

http://www.toymike.com/diesel/pics/dieselUnder.jpg

If you look closely as the round cross bar (just below the tire mounting bar) you will see the old shock attachments.

If you truck has been changed to the later style mount you would use 1984 - 1988 1 ton truck.

You can always update the shock mounts by purchasing 2 upper shock mounts and having them welded onto the frame.

thanks for the info....nice pics........guess I'll have to keep looking around.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sparky, I put new shocks on my registered 84 toy dolphin, the truck was manufactured 6-83 and moho on 9-83 acording to a plate attached to driver side of the cab. i put on "kyb" shocks part #s ky343127 & ky344044, they worked perfectly very please with the performance. have abut 20,000 miles on them now. hope this helps Darrel