Cargo box sugestions

mmtoy1

I have an 87 sunrader and of course the cargo box is missing and I dont think I will ever find a replacement original box. I am thinking of mounting a plastic pickup cargo tool box on the rear bumper for light bulkey stuff. My awning, a couple of folding chairs, barbque, etc.. Does anyone have a better sugestion or reason I should not do this. I am taking a trip about 4500 miles round trip and I need the space.

mm

I have an 87 sunrader and of course the cargo box is missing and I dont think I will ever find a replacement original box. I am thinking of mounting a plastic pickup cargo tool box on the rear bumper for light bulkey stuff. My awning, a couple of folding chairs, barbque, etc.. Does anyone have a better sugestion or reason I should not do this. I am taking a trip about 4500 miles round trip and I need the space.

mm

I recently bought a '91 21' Itasca Spirit. It was a "Grandpa" rig. Grandpa built a nifty plywood cargo box and affixed it to the rear bumper with angle iron. It works great! Doesn't seem to harm the ride (but you do have to be careful when backing up as it adds a couple of feet to the rig). Just finished a 4800 mile journey and wouldn't try it again if I didn't have the extra cargo capacity. It is also a great place to put stinky clothes and linens between laundromats.

post-3055-1249756473_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Weight being of the upmost importance I cut off a 4x4 bumper, useless trailer hitch and some heavy gage angle saving at least 75lbs.

The attached picture shows my low weight solution, uni strut bracketed onto the frame with square U bolts and decked with cedar 5/4 decking.

The unistrut painted red is a bike rack for the tandem.

It holds me without flexing and that 250lbs. haven't road tested it yet but I have complete faith in the design and execution

post-2772-12510696668296_thumb.jpg

post-2772-12510696800789_thumb.jpg

post-2772-12510696982817_thumb.jpg

post-2772-12510697123013_thumb.jpg