Tinted Widow Film for Coach

gmichaelz

Hello TMH Owners: Well after carefully laundering the original curtains which came with my newly purchased 1987 Gulfstream Conquest ToyHome, I now possess wonderful clean up rags. The more I handle these clean curtains the more the liner material shreds.

Myself being a single male widower, I am simply thinking of hanging mini blinds on most of the windows to keep UV rays to a minimum when the MH is parked outdoors. Then I got to thinking about tinting the windows with film. Since the coach windows are flat, I might be able to use residential film rather than auto film.

Does any member at this site have any experience with these films?

I have briefly researched this topic on the internet , and am attaching several links:

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Buy-Window-Tint-Film-for-your-Home-or-Auto_W0QQugidZ10000000003871957?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:6" target="_blank">http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Buy-Window-...T:-1:LISTINGS:6</a>

http://reviews.ebay.com/Do-It-Yourself-Installing-Residential-Window-Tint_W0QQugidZ10000000003871985" target="_blank">http://reviews.ebay.com/Do-It-Yourself-Ins...000000003871985</a>

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213608" target="_blank">http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213608</a>

Do the motor vehicle laws dictate maximum darkness of the window tint chosen for the coach portion as though it were the rear of a SUV vehicle? Looking forward to your posts on this subject. Thanks, Michael

Update on Window Tint Film: I had my 1988 Toyota 4X4 pickup's annual Pennsylvania inspection performed today. My mechanic had a ToyHome many years ago, he took it on many long trips with his family, and stated the only area in which the transmission fluid overheated was in these mountains here in PA.

I asked him if PA has a limit on how dark the window tint film can be for the coach section. His answer was "No Restriction on Color for the coach section, but a max of 35% for the Door Windows for the driving compartment. I am going back tomorrow to have my car inspected. I will inquire about residential reflective coatings which are better at reducing UV Rays and heat build up, which is my primary goal. I thought that a bronze film would look good with the aged fiberglass patina. But, I'm thinking that a reflective film might create night driving issues for the other drivers, whom I do not want to want to jeopardize aggravating. I welcome and encourage your thoughts and opinions. Thanks, Michael

As far as I know, you can put any darkness tinting on your coach windows.....it's the cab door windows the cops are concerned about. I got "do it yourself" tinting at canadian tire, but any auto supply should carry similar kits.....I got the darkest limo tint I could find, it lets in 2 1/2% light. This may sound dark, but it really cuts down the temp in the camper, and adds privacy......I got the black tinting instead of the reflective silver or bronze to avoid making my windows mirrors which could irritate other drivers. At nite you can still see into the camper if the lights are on and the curtains are open......with the curtains closed you get total privacy, the windows look like black ink. I hope nthis helps you out.....the tinting was the first thing I did when I bought the camper 5 years ago, and I feel one of the best, easiest thing I've done to it.

the tinting was the first thing I did when I bought the camper 5 years ago, and I feel one of the best, easiest thing I've done to it.

Thank you Russ Donaldson for your post. You mentioned that 2 1/2% was your selection of window tint, I was entertaining using 5% black as my choice if I cannot use the bronze tint. I thought 5% black was Limo Tint but now I will also include 2 1/2% in my research. Do you recall if the tint which you used was considered "auto grade" or "residential grade?" I think that currently the glue is stronger on the residential grade but can only be use on flat glass. Again thanks for your viewpoint., Michael

My Itasca Spirit came with roller window shades, but I to have been researching window film; I like to see out while I am camping. I have decided on the residential film from Gila. They have one that blocks of 70% of suns heat but you can still see through easly. I am waiting for Lowes to restock. The only problem I see is putting on the siding style windows, it won't be a problem with the stationary windows. I also found some exterior window film on the Internet not quite as good but my have to use for the sliders.

Thank you Russ Donaldson for your post. You mentioned that 2 1/2% was your selection of window tint, I was entertaining using 5% black as my choice if I cannot use the bronze tint. I thought 5% black was Limo Tint but now I will also include 2 1/2% in my research. Do you recall if the tint which you used was considered "auto grade" or "residential grade?" I think that currently the glue is stronger on the residential grade but can only be use on flat glass. Again thanks for your viewpoint., Michael

it was automotive tinting I used

Thank you Bear: I think that my coach windows already have tinted factory glass at 50% to as low as 35% tint factor from Gulfstream. I plan on camping in remote areas and would not be able to use the roof mounted AC, since I do not have a generator nor plan on installing one, already carrying too much weight. And I do not enjoy being hot, cold I can dress for, hot I suffer. As for applying the tint film to the inside of the sliding windows, I was thinking of removing the slider from inside so that I could apply film to the stationary window easily, and then apply the tint to the slider when it was removed from the MH. Just do not want it too dark inside while parked in the shade during the day. We all need light, it is the heat I am trying to minimize. It is too humid in PA to use a Swamp Cooler, and if I drop a tarp from the roof rack to cover windows there goes my outdoor view and light. Could velcro Heavy fabric onto the inside windows to cause blackout while vehicle is in transit to minimize heat gain, but then there is the storage issue once camped, roll up shades are self storing though.

Thank you Russ: For replying that you used "Automotive Grade Tinting Film" for your 2 1/2% selection. Were your coach windows also tinted from the factory prior to you applying this additional protection? I spent some time working inside the MH yesterday with the AC running to check on it's performance. Well it worked so well that after laboring I sat down to read the manuals and other literature which came with the MH, I read beyond dusk and had to turn on a overhead light to continue. The Bottom Line is that I do not want to turn the overhead light on during the day when I am confined to the MH due to Thunderstorms, etc. Does your choice of tint allow enough ambient light to enter the coach to comfortably read while confined to interior during cloudy days? Thanks, Michael

Our 91 conquest already has tinted windows, my guess is they are factory like yours. Our curtains for the lower main coach windows were missing when we bought it. The cab overs are dismal. We bought some cloth type blinds from Home Depot for the two bottom large and rear bath windows. They really block out the light and heat. For the 3 it was right around $100 each. Ours has some side privacy surrounds on each of the two main windows. Not sure what they are really called. Any how my wife (Katherine) found some material at Cost Plus that goes with the upholstery really well and we plan to re-cover those surrounds and also make new curtains for the cab over. Also a new new privacy curtain between the cab and coach will be sewn together. The only negative I have to say about the Home Depot blinds is that they really block out the light. Camping world has some which are actually two in one, one that blocks out the light and another one that gives privacy but allows light in. One thing I have been told is the mini blinds can be somewhat noisy with the metal type the being more noisy as you drive down the road. I found with our HD blinds when in the retracted position they would slightly swing and make a knock noise on the wall. And that was just moving around inside doing stuff or entering or exiting the coach. I found some small self sticking rubber bumpers and placed them on the wall right where the blinds hit the wall when up and problem solved.

As for putting on your own tint sure its possible but easy to botch. I did my pickup and I did not enjoy it. Most auto parts stores have several types. Not sure if they all reflect ultraviolet or not. Some though are a metal film type and if you use wireless with a laptop you will be blocking a huge signal entry point with the metal film. Anyhow if your going to do it yourself I would go with the automotive type. The size sheets that come in the package might be a consideration though.

Northern Breeze or similar roof vent. Makes all the difference in the world being able to push that hot air out the roof and pull cool air in through the windows! I have a northern breeze in the main cabin and a fantastic in the bath. I like the NB better as it has a slide for fan speed and can be turned down low for quiet operation and less current draw. The fantastic has 3 speeds and low can still be somewhat loud.

Thank you Gulfstream Greg for your informative post. And especially the note about when you applied window film to your pick up truck's windows. I have seen many photos at this site dedicated to your mechanical skills and examples of handiwork which you applied to your MH's, so I know that you are a creative person and do not shy away from the necessary labor of getting involved in a project on your ToyHome. Life is an ongoing balancing act. Thanks, Michael

Thank you Bear: I think that my coach windows already have tinted factory glass at 70% to as low as 50% tint factor from Gulfstream. I plan on camping in remote areas and would not be able to use the roof mounted AC, since I do not have a generator nor plan on installing one, already carrying too much weight. And I do not enjoy being hot, cold I can dress for, hot I suffer. As for applying the tint film to the inside of the sliding windows, I was thinking of removing the slider from inside so that I could apply film to the stationary window easily, and then apply the tint to the slider when it was removed from the MH. Just do not want it too dark inside while parked in the shade during the day. We all need light, it is the heat I am trying to minimize. It is too humid in PA to use a Swamp Cooler, and if I drop a tarp from the roof rack to cover windows there goes my outdoor view and light. Could velcro Heavy fabric onto the inside windows to cause blackout while vehicle is in transit to minimize heat gain, but then there is the storage issue once camped, roll up shades are self storing though.

Thank you Russ: For replying that you used "Automotive Grade Tinting Film" for your 2 1/2% selection. Were your coach windows also tinted from the factory prior to you applying this additional protection? I spent some time working inside the MH yesterday with the AC running to check on it's performance. Well it worked so well that after laboring I sat down to read the manuals and other literature which came with the MH, I read beyond dusk and had to turn on a overhead light to continue. The Bottom Line is that I do not want to turn the overhead light on during the day when I am confined to the MH due to Thunderstorms, etc. Does your choice of tint allow enough ambient light to enter the coach to comfortably read while confined to interior during cloudy days? Thanks, Michael

Ok, my windows were not tinted at all before I added the 2 1/2% limo tint, and I'm genuinely happy with the results (I did the job myself), but on a dreary, cloudy day you would probably have to put on a light to read with all the windows closed. I get the feeling you might not want to go too dark, but for me I wanted it as dark as possible since I removed my roof AC unit, and am counting on the tinting to help keep the interior temp down. BTW the dark tint really keeps the camper cooler, and up here in Canada we rarely see 100 degree days. I hope this info helps your decision.

I wanted it as dark as possible since I removed my roof AC unit, and am counting on the tinting to help keep the interior temp down.

Hello Russ: Sounds like you have created the perfect cave for yourself! Cool, Semi Dark and Dry. Yes I envy you.

Here in North Eastern Pennsylvania we receive abundant rainfall, so that when I would be confined to the interior of the ToyHome I would probably be reading books, I do not subscribe to WiFi capability in the wilds, While traveling I use Public Library access points to use WiFi on my laptop. But when camping in the wilds I return to the basics. Yes, I travel with many books and periodicals.

Since my MH windows are already tinted from Gulf Stream, I am leaning toward vinyl horizontal mini blinds that block most light, which I can open during indoor confinement due to thunderstorm activity outdoors.

When you removed your roof mounted AC unit did you simply use a 14" X 14" roof vent to re-seal the roof opening, which I am told is the standard method, or did you cover the opening completely with metal sheeting?

Thanks, Michael

Hello Russ: Sounds like you have created the perfect cave for yourself! Cool, Semi Dark and Dry. Yes I envy you.

Here in North Eastern Pennsylvania we receive abundant rainfall, so when I would be confined to the interior of the ToyHome I would probably be reading books, I do not subscribe to WiFi capability in the wilds, While traveling I use Public Library access points to use WiFi on my laptop. But when camping I return to basics. Yes, I travel with many books and periodicals.

Since my MH windows are already tinted from Gulf Stream, I am leaning toward vinyl horizontal mini blinds that block most light, which I can open during indoor confinement due to thunderstorm activity outdoors.

When you removed your roof mounted AC unit did you simply use a 14" roof vent to seal the opening, or did you cover the opening with metal sheeting?

Thanks, Michael

I put in another roof vent.....as luck would have it, the hole was exactly the same size. I've been removing the extra unused junk from my dolphin......AC unit, roof racks, ladder, awning, those dumb vent covers, etc, etc......sure unclutters the outside and gives me better clearance, although I doubt I can squeeze into a reg garage.