Towing a Toyota Motorhome

bufbooth

Hello All,

Why can't a Toyota Motorhome be towed with a regular tow truck?

I saw a few comments recently on the site stating that a Toyota bumper was not strong

enough, which I agree, but what about the two front tow rings that are directly attached

to the Toyota truck chassis? Isn't the front tow rings designed to be used for towing?

Thanks,

Dennis...

I'm just taking a guess here but If you are talking about the front tow rings I think the problem would be with the clearance in the rear, you would only be able to lift the front about 6in. off the ground before the rear, or the waste water tanks would scrape the road, and that would make for a very unsafe tow. Thats if you had to tow the front. If you had to lift the rear you could put the rear wheels on the straps or a large tow dolly and you should have clearance with the front bumper. I would feel better if it was on a flatbed tow truck.

My 21 foot Sunrader was towed last year when the clutch went out by a regular tow truck. Bars were placed in front of and behind the two front tires, straps were applied around the tires and the front was lifted at least a foot off of the ground. It was then towed with no problems to my home, where the driver backed the motorhome into the spot where I wanted it. At no time did it drag. Thank heavens for Good Sams ERS. From the time I called, 5 miles to my house, and parked, 45 minutes with no problems. I can see no reason why it can't be pulled by the tow rings, they are pretty stout.

Allen

I think I would be careful with a wheel lift too there is a lot of over hang back there! I'm not too sure about the toe rings remember they were made for a pickup not a 6000# MH. Some thing else that could be an issue is the distance it is towed with the rear wheels on the ground the transmission will not lube the internal parts with out the engine running. If it has to be towed any real distance the drive shaft should be removed.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was asking was to determine in advance what my future options could be if I

needed a tow. I would perfer a Flat bed, but if only a regular tow truck was the only thing available I want to know

what the possiblities were.

Thanks,

Dennis...