refer total ignorance

My spouse and I have just finished our second nice trip in our 82 Sunrader. We knew when we bought it late last summer that the frig only worked on propane. But how do we know what else it's supposed to run on? What's does a 2-way frig mean? What does a 3-way frig mean? I've seen these terms on RV web sites and need some help with basic definitions. Also, if someone can explain these terms to me, how do I know if my setup is 1-way, 2-way or 3-wAY? Is there a code on the unit that tells me which? Or some chunk of the frig manufacturer's serial number on the unit?

Nope we don't go down the road with the propane on. We just keep a small block of ice in the bottom of the frig. It keeps everything cold for more than a week.

A 1 way is propane only, a 2 way is propane and 120 volt ac (shore power), a 3 way is both the above plus 12 volt dc (truck battery power}. The way to tell is look at the selector knobs on the front of the refer. You will have a knob that has one, two or all three selections and each selection (gas, 12v, 120v).

A note: 12 volt dc is only supposed to be used when the engine is running as it will quickly run down most batteries due to high current consumption. I do run mine on 12 volt dc when on the road. I have two ways to control it, one a relay that only supplies power when the ignition is on and two a separate switch on the dash where I can disconnect power to it when in slow traffic. Even 10 minuets in slow traffic can substantially deplete the battery.

Hope that helps

Greg