Spare Tire Wheels

Ted,

Some people carry both spares, or get an adapter to allow the use of the 6 bolt wheels on the front. I carry only the 5 bolt spare to replace either of the two front tires if one of them goes flat. I have 4 tires mounted on the rear so I don't need a spare for them. I run D range tires at 60 psi for safety. I once ran 500 miles unknowingly with one of the inside duals flat, because of the 60 lbs in the companion tire it handled the load OK.

The 5 bolt spare is the only one that came with the original half ton chassis motorhomes, the 6 bolt rear is a retrofit. The true one ton chassis motorhomes come with a 6 bolt spare because all wheels are 6 bolt.

Allen

There are two flavors. The pre floating axle toys that have had the floating axle installed will have the front 5 bolt hubs and a spare for only that hub. Some have chosen to purchase another 6 lug dully rim for a rear spare. The basic feeling is that if you get a rear flat you can limp to the nearest service center. Toyota trucks that came standard with the full floating rear axle also have a front hub that has 6 bolts and accepts a dully rim. The whole assembly is also wider to accommodate the large offset of the dully rim. So only one spare is needed for these rigs. There are some adapters for fitting the dully rims to the 5 bolt hub and it offsets the wheel so it fits under the fender correctly but I am not sure that the 5 bolt bearing assembly can hold up to the offset created by the adapter. Maybe someone else can answer that question. I would thing the newer 6 bolt front suspension and bearing assemblies are completely different so that there is little or no leverage applied to the spindle by the wheel. Its the leverage that would concern me with the adapters. Leverage and flexing of the axle shaft is what kills the original non floating rear axles with the welded together dual wheel assembly.

We have an '85 Huntsman with a spare for the front bolt pattern. Do these campers usually come with a 6 bolt spare for the rear end two?

If not not how do you handle the need for two doffernent wheels?

Ted

Thank you Allen and Greg. I thought we'd be able to limp in to some Walmart for new tire on the rear if necessary.

I appreciate your replies.

Ted

Hello, from my experience Walmart does not carry any brand of 185/R14 truck tires, nor can they order them.

Dennis...

That's a good point. If your 150 miles in the boonies it could take hours to limp to the nearest tire store to replace the tire and then you might have to wait for them to order it in and if its a weekend, need I say more!?