switching axles

i have a 1980 sunraider 18ft. Great rv, just needs that six lug axle. Bought a 1982 huntsman that had updated six lug axle. They dont seem to match up. The outside wheel width is the same, 77 1/2. but the leaf springs arent the same. The guy had air bags on my parts rv, so maybe this offset something when they changed them? i dunno. Also i think mine might actually be a 78 body style it does have four headlights. Yet the title says 80 and the door says 79. Anyone have any ideas?

i have a 1980 sunraider 18ft. Great rv, just needs that six lug axle. Bought a 1982 huntsman that had updated six lug axle. They dont seem to match up. The outside wheel width is the same, 77 1/2. but the leaf springs arent the same. The guy had air bags on my parts rv, so maybe this offset something when they changed them? i dunno. Also i think mine might actually be a 78 body style it does have four headlights. Yet the title says 80 and the door says 79. Anyone have any ideas?

You are welcome to call my husband Mac, he just traded out a six lug axle on our 83 Sundrader. I believe he had to change a few things, he can tell you if it would fit. 334-740-9501

Here is the link that we spoke about today.

http://www.toyotareference.com/truck

I think that these small rvs are worth the effort to repair.. Dont give the joy of this remodel to some one else. Savor it for your self.. When it is finally complete the satisfaction you will feel in the accomplishment is worth every second. Let me know what you decide.

• 1 month later...

You have to cut off the leaf spring pads and re-weld them. Best way to do it is to weld them in place after assembly according to my tech who changed out my huntsman 5 lug to a full floating 6 lug out of a 1989 Toyota U-haul box truck. I didn't have the tools so I paid a pro to do it for me. I also added airbags and if you want you can email me for info. They help greatly and I added a tow package which allows me to bring all the things I cannot store inside the tiny motorhome. tumolt@hotmail.com