1982 Toyota Dolphin

vtchris

Today I just happened across a fella selling his Dad's (deceased) 1982 Dolphin for $2000 and since I am a Toy owner, and since I think this is an exceptional price, I went and took a look at it. It has 40K, is 4 cyl manual, no leaks or signs of past leakage, needs some TLC but nothing major, started right up, I forgot to check for the 6 lugs in the rear. My question is two fold, do you agree that this is underpriced? and what do you think I can charge as a finders fee? Oh, it is in Northern Vermont.

You paid a fair price. If the axle is not the full floating axle it should be replaced. The cost with labor and parts will about $2k. Rich Carl has one for sale. He's a member of this group. The TLC is common to almost any RV that's 27 years old. Look underneath to examine the frame, etc. for rust. Check the DOT code on the tires for the date of manufacture and if more than 7 or so years old replace them.

I think Dolphins are fairly well built. If you park it outside try to park it so water will not pool on the roof and have the freeze/thaw cycles.

Good luck and happy Toyota-ing.

John H SW OH

'86 21' Sunrader 22RE, 43D, 58K

My question is two fold, do you agree that this is underpriced? and what do you think I can charge as a finders fee? Oh,

Yes, if it's in good operating condition and you can detail the entire vehicle.

If it has the full floating rear axle I suspect you can ask $5 or more if it doesn't have lots of rust, an ailing exhaust system and old or worn out tires. That's a $3K "finders fee"....not bad.

John H

The present owner says that the rear axle is not an issue, he checked and it wasn't recalled on the 4cyl standards. Right or wrong?