Acceleration and braking

Bhark54

I bought a 1987 Dolphin last year and basically parked it. I did put in a new floor and generally cleaned it up. Last week we took it out for a drive and put about 80 miles on it. The vehicle has about 140,000 miles on it. I was wondering if the very slow 0 to 25 acceleration it has is normal? It feels more like a steam locomotive getting up speed rather then stepping on the gas. In the 25 - 60 mph it seems pretty responsive, steep hills can't get much over 35-40. The trans shifts smoothly and O/D works as expected. It almost feels like if we had to climb out of a steep campsite we might not make it. I just wanted to make sure this is normal performance.

Also panic braking at highway speeds is not so much stopping as gradually slowing down. I will look at the brakes this weekend but just was wondering if the brakes are not as effective as I would hope.

I don't mind the slow acceleration, just want to make sure it is normal.

They are not speed demons I guess it is hard to tell with out driving it but don't put any bets up if some one wants to race you. The brakes do not feel like they are doing much but they do stop pretty well if you have to, they probably are a bit rusty from sitting and may improve with some driving. It takes a lot to get 6,000+ pounds moving with only about 130 HP.

It takes a lot to get 6,000+ pounds moving with only about 130 HP.

I really doubt a 22r is pushing 130 HP with automatic and 140000 miles maybe 100HP on a good day. It is the slowest thing that I have ever driven by far and there was nothing wrong with mine. My breaks worked really good though have you checked your pads maybe one of your calipers is leaking in air