Newbie needs some HELP!!!!

Howdy All,

Just bought a 1988 Dolphin. Filled up the gas, lit a cigar, headed out on a 400 mile trip.One way.

Did great !! Loved how it handled. Wife calling it Flipper. Bet it's not the first!! I have a red switch just below the sink I have no idea what it does. Turn it on, it lights up red then goes out? Any thoughts? We pulled in to eat and my cell phone batterey was down plugged in to outlet no power? My batterey in the side compartment is brand new. Is there a switch Im missing to use this power source? I looked at my genny when we got there,2800 oni couldnt find a way to put gas in decided it had a line feeding it from tank? But woudnt fire,check oil looked a little low, found here on the site that theres a automatic shut off when it is. Will fill it and try again. But how long should I hold the start button before it should fire? Im really looking for a Dolphin Guru I want to learn everything about it for safe happy camping and trips!! Didnt burn a drop of oil and ran like a top!! Cant wait to hit the road again,Heck Im going to drive it to the grocery store later!! Any help at all would be a God send. Any place I could get a manual for the buttons ,pipes, electrical,gadgets would help me to. Once again Thanks for Your Time. Mike

Welcome to Toyota motor homing it is additive! You have to be plug in or have the generator running to have power to your outlets. You generator does indeed use fuel from the MH tank and if it has been sitting for awhile it may take a bit of cranking to get it started. If it does not start after a few tries 10 to 15 sec. at a time then you'll need to have a look at it to see what might be wrong. It will not start if the oil is low.

My electric start water heater has a switch inside that glows red when first turned on and goes out in a few seconds after the gas ignites. You leave the switch in the on position to maintain hot water, even though it is not lit. Turn it off when you no longer need hot water. Also the water pump switch glows red when the pump is turned on, but it will always stay lit as long as it is in the on position.

Manuals for the motorhomes usually do not provide much information on the bells and whistles of the gadgets. New motorhomes come with a manufacturers manual for each item in the motorhome. Some people have held on to these but most have not. Usually you can download the manual from the manufacturers web site if they are still in business. Also keep an eye on Craig's List and eBay.

Go to the files section of this website. Several manuals have been uploaded to the files.

Allen

PS: I use and highly recommend Trailer Life's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual (about $25 new)

If the generator has not been run for awhile it's possible the carb has plaqued up and needs cleaning. Once you get it running make sure you have Stabil gas additive in your tank to prevent the carb from clogging up again if it will be unused for more than a few weeks. And start it up every few weeks anyway.

Seamus McShank