Propane Leak

bufbooth

Hello All,

While checking out all my systems after my Odyssey has been in storage for six months, I could smell a

propane leak. I did the soap check and found a leak where the regulator connects to the tank. Should

there be a rubber gasket (or O-ring) there, or is it just a compression fit? Currently there is no gasket

of any type.

Thanks,

Dennis...

If its the same as mine I remember a compression fitting and 1/4 pipe into the regulator. Mine will leak at the valve stem midway but when its back seated its ok, someone told me thats normal??

When you say it leaks where the regulator goes into the tank, do you mean it leaks where the regulator connects to the valve? or do you mean the valve leaks where it threads into the tank?

Which valve is on the tank...

propane-tank-old-valve.jpg

or

Liquid%20Service%20Valve.JPG

The top one takes a CGA 510 connector which may or may not have a rubber o-ring on it. Some do for added sealing ability, but most of them are just smooth brass. But the inside of the valve also may or may not have a rubber sealing surface. Depends on what valve you have. If your valve looks like the one on the top and lets gas out when you open it, it probably doesn't have a gasket in the valve. If no gas flows until you screw on the CGA-510 connector, it does have a gasket. If deteriorated, it may need a new valve. Silicone dielectric grease works wonders on gas connections.

If you have a valve like the lower one, it is a 45 degree flare fitting. You may have a nick in the flare of your tubing. It may need to be deburred with a 45 degree deburring tool.

Regardless of what type of fitting you have, never apply thread seal tape or pipe dope to the threads! The sealing surface is NOT the threads and adding tape will only decrease the sealing pressure on the connector face.

If it's leaking around the threads of the tank valve where the valve meets the tank, you should take this opportunity to replace the valve - you'll have to remove it anyway to install new thread sealant (the tank valve sealing surface IS the thread interface between the valve and the tank - it's not a connector).