Water Tanks / Plumbing / Propane Tanks / Sheets

Scarnocamper

Our parents just gave us their older Toyota Motorhome and we need some advice. It is a 1983 Dolphin 500.

What should we do to check the water/plumbing/shower/sink/toilet to make sure everything is okay?

How do we sanitize the water tanks etc.?

What are the rules regarding propane tanks? Do we have to replace it... I believe it is the original.

Any ideas for fitted sheets for the cabover... Queen is too big and Full is too small.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Scarnocamper

I found A place that said they can switch the valve out and install one with an opd for $25.00. Is yours A horizontal tank ?? mine is and they seem to be around $200+ bucks to find the same size.

I will double check (rv sites) but there are I think some kits for flushing and sanitizing. I will be doing this to mine also for the first time.

My gma use to make her own for this one, but we cant find any of them anymore. My wife sews womens hand bags and has A stout sewing machine. She says she can make some sheets and cushion covers but I havnt seen any yet :buttwiggle: "Thats for the wife in case she reads it". She has made curtains for the front cab over window and repared another after I switched the washer to a faster setting :lips-sealed: .

There has to be a way to check for pressure lose just like the plumbers do with a gage and air, but I dont know. I am hoping to learn from this question also.

Thanks

Ok, To sanitize the water tank, put in one capfull of chlorine bleach, fill the tank, let it stand overnight and then empty the tank, just run it through the pump. If you can still smell a bit of chlorine, the tank is good, if there is no chlorine smell, double the amount and do it again. If the chlorine is being used up, it means it is working and you arent sterile in there yet. You could put in more say a 1/4 cup and flush over night but that is overkill in most cases.

To test for leaks, just fill the water tank turn on the hot and cold taps untill you have good flow, then turn off the taps and listen for the pump, if you hear it cycle every few minutes, you either have a leak, too much air in the hot tank or a weak pump or check valve on the pump. Its easy, just use the system, the pump will let you know if there is a problem. The toilet, shower and holding tanks will let you know really quickly if they have problems.

The horizontal tanks (if thats what you have) are exempt from needing an OPD valve - the one with the triangular handle. You can get them certified quite cheaply if you ask around - I paid $8 per tank for that in Oregon. If you have vertical tanks, probably the cheapest is to go to a place that sells exchange tanks and swap yours for certified ones. I have heard that the going rate for installing OPD valves and recertifying a tank is around $30. It isnt likely that the tanks are compromised by rust, but any of the pro's will tell you at a glance. I have read that the propane regulator (pressure reducing valve) has a life cycle of 7years, they are cheap, you micht want to replace it, especially if there is a slight propane smell in the propane tank area. Bed sheets - ah real men don't needem..............Hope this helps ...............Tony-------- 11 yrs full time rv'ing and 8yrs full time sailing.

Three08 I just re-read your post. DON'T LET ANY ONE PUT AN OPD VALVE ON YOUR HORIZONTAL TANK!!!!!!!!! They are not made for horizontal tanks to the best of my knowledge. They will fit, can be screwed in easily, and will dump liquid propane into your system which could spoil your relatives whole day. You wont mind cause you wont be with us. The kids that fill the tanks forget about horizontal tanks (they had to learn it to get their certificate) cause they just dont see many. The tanks fill vertically, and watch that they dont get overfilled....................I dont mean to be sounding so serious, propane is easy to deal with once you get used to it.

Ok, I am a little confused as to what we actually have.

I looked at the propane tank inside the compartment in the Motorhome. The propane tank was laying on its side horizontally with the hookup on the far left side of the tank. We went to Camping world and I saw a tank that looked similiar (although I did not look too closely) and about the right size... it was a 30 pound propane tank for approx. $70. We didn't buy it as I wanted to make sure I actually needed it.

Here is my question... Is there actually such a thing as a 30 lb. horizontal tank distinct from a 30 lb. vertical tank

OR

is a horizontal tank the same tank... just that the tank happens to be lying horizontally in order to fit in the Motorhome compartment?

Does this make sense?

Thanks.

Right on Nibs, Thank you

I was just worried about getting it filled while on the road??

Do you think I will have any problems???

Scarnocamper, The two tanks look very similar but the horizontal is different "Look close". I will let you know what I find out today

I will call around and see if they will fill it for me.

Thanks Again Nibs

Edited by Threeoeight

Do not put the cheaper vertical tank (as in BBQ grill) into your propane compartment. The motorhomes can only use the horizontal tanks.

My Sunrader uses two 20 lb tanks in it's compartment. When I first bought it, it had the old style horizontal tanks but I didn't want to have to be on a trip and run out of propane and not be able to have them refueled because someone didn't unterstand that they are exempt from having to have the new triangular style OPD valve. I wnt ahead and replaced them with the new HORIZONTAL tanks.

There is a decal in the files section of this forum that can be printed out and placed on your old tank,

Pictured below are an old horizontal tank sitting beside the new tank. The other picture shows both new tanks in the compartment.

Both tanks must be removed and placed in the vertical position to be filled , BUT can only be used in the horizontal position.

Allen

post-481-1240840098_thumb.jpg post-481-1240840162_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. Now I can tell a new tank from an old tank. How can you tell a vertical tank from a horizontal tank? How much does a 30 pound horizontal tank normally cost? Where can I get one? I am looking at the tanks in the Camping World catalog and it doesn't specify vertical or horizontal.

Also, why are the older horizontal tanks exempt from having an OPD valve when the new horizontal tanks come with an OPD valve?

Also, nibs says that OPD valves are not meant for horizontal tanks but motoyhomme's new horizontal tank came with an OPD valve (I think... if I am reading this correctly), so now I am confused.

Edited by Scarnocamper

Thank you for the pictures. Now I can tell a new tank from an old tank. How can you tell a vertical tank from a horizontal tank? How much does a 30 pound horizontal tank normally cost? Where can I get one? I am looking at the tanks in the Camping World catalog and it doesn't specify vertical or horizontal.

Also, why are the older horizontal tanks exempt from having an OPD valve when the new horizontal tanks come with an OPD valve?

Also, nibs says that OPD valves are not meant for horizontal tanks but motoyhomme's new horizontal tank came with an OPD valve (I think... if I am reading this correctly), so now I am confused.

The horizontal tanks are built differently inside. Notice on my new tanks where the valve is located, on the top as it lays horizontal. The old tank it is in the middle but it has internal piping that draws from the top as it lays on the side. If you stick an OPD valve in the old tanks it will allow liquid to flow to your appliances and good-bye to motorhome and maybe lives. As Nibs has already said, "DO NOT PUT AN OPD VALVE IN AN OLD HORIZONTAL TANK".

The RV stores sell the regular kind of propane tanks because some trailers mount them in a vertical position. The vertical tanks will not have the mounting plates so they can lay horizontal, nor will they have the large handle near the top to use to pull it out of the compartment. If you have a propane BBQ grill look at it's tank, very different.

The CW catalog should specify whether it's horizontal or vertical, If it's horizontal it is the expensive one.

Allen