85 Dolphin model 600

Threeoeight

First I would like to say "Hello" and "Thank You" to you all. I have learned quit a bit by reading here lately.

I recently accquired a Family owned toyota. It has been in the family since I was a young boy, and would fish with my grandparents. It has been A long time dream of mine to some day take my kids out in this sweet ride. Well now is my chance and I have been doing many things. I have What I think is all the manuels for the truck and appliances (can be copied). So I have spent sometime learning each, one at a time. I replaced the old Battery, full power now, replaced thermal coupler in the furnace and now the pilot stays lit, so the furnace works. Plugged it in and turned on the fridged 'no dice" cold for a short time only. So I did my best level impression and it froze a cup of water in about 1 1/2, 2 hours ,it works very well.

I have not had a chance to flush and sanitize the water tanks, check for leaks, and make sure the holding tanks "hold". That will be next. I have had a chance to do some washing, polishing and waxing and the color comes back very nice. I will post some pics when its all done waxing.

The motorhome needs an exterior access door for the fridge I guess it fell of on a recent trip. All the locks for the exterior doors were broken are now working correct, the porch light switch was bad and I replaced that, but need the lens cover. Where would you recommend to find parts like the missing ones listed above??

Oh now I also have solid knowledge of the fuel system and how to replace a few items in it, but thats another story

Ready for camping/fishing :ThumbUp:

Thanks Again

Edited by Threeoeight

My parents just gave us their Motorhome too. It is a 1983 Dolphin that we used to go camping in when I was a kid. We have three little ones and can't wait to take them out camping.

We just took ours in to have the plumbing looked at.

Anyways, we couldn't find the any keys for the compartments, so we just went to the local RV store and purchased new locks (they were all the same key) and they were very easy to install, except for the smallest compartment. The latch on that was slightly smaller than the rest, so our neighbor filed it down for us so it would work.

For the porch light, we just replaced the entire unit with one we purchased at the local RV store (I think they are standard size). We didn't try to replace the cover on the old one because we didn't think we would find one that would fit... plus, it was kind of yellowed anyways. the light unit was approx. $35.

We haven't tried the furnace yet.

We replaced both batteries, the fuel filter, fuel pump, windshield wipers, and had the carburator rebuilt because my Dad put old gasoline in it. There was also some rust in the hose coming out of the gas tank and a bad filler hose. We also did an oil change, new tires, and had the radiator fluid flushed. It runs good now.

Our exterior door lock doesn't work... how did you fix that?

We also are replacing the old rusty screws that are all over the Motorhome... it really makes a difference and it is very inexpensive and can be done in little time.

I don't know what kind of wood you have, but we have the darker wood and it was in great condition, but there was some areas with scratches and dried looking wood. I bought some Old English scratch cover and it made the wood look new... none of the scratches can be seen anymore.

The new proch light sounds like the way to go. Thanks

Just reading your posts got me all fired up to go get in it and find more to fix or make work again

I also have to have the valve on the original lpg tank replaced cause its still the old style but localy they said they could do it for $25.00.

I found some doors at adventurerv.net. The dometic doors are plastic and the norcold looks like the same old style that was on it, square metal with vents. I will use whats right but would like the new one to match all the other original doors. Anyone have experience with replacing external doors??

The man door lock will be next on my list I have a dead bolt that dont really line up and the other may not be working I'll get back to you on that "scarnocamper". I didnt however get a full lock set with all the same keys that would be much better. I just replaced the bad ones and now I have at least two keys.

I also had the fuel pump go out on our 830+ mile trip home from cali. I dropped the tank and my boss drove to weed, ca from bend, oregon and broght a $240.00 fuel pump with him. I didnt have any tools as I had flew down and was driving it back up with my oldest boy. So my wife drove down with those and our 2 year old. I dropped the tank and installed the new pump but it didnt want to fire, and it was getting late. We still had a three+ hour drive to get home, so on the tilt trailer it went" barely".

So after a fuel pump, filter, and efi main relay plus some wonderful help from good mechanics ( print outs for the location of fuses, relays and electrical diagram). "Kar kare" Thanks Guys.

I have had it in oregon for 2 weeks and not a day has gone by that I dont do something to her.

Im very excited!!

Edited by Threeoeight